Author: waiboshu

What's the most insane Chinese stereotype about foreigners?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-12-13 17:46:34 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Prometheus2 at 2012-12-13 17:49
Bandito Post time: 2012-12-12 00:55
Interesting that a German man and an Englishman was used without regard to population of both coun ...

"It is civilised in any culture to listen and contribute and not interject continuously!"

I think your wrong here and this is a gross generalisation. My Enlglish language teacher who was from a Chinese background, used it in an example in class, that culturally Chinese do interject and this is not seen as being uncivilised as you seem to make out. She told the class how people at her parents restaurant once thought her parents and other workers were arguing because of loud frequent interjections when in reality they were joking and conversely normally and she had to explain this to customers when waitering.
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-13 17:50:45 |Display all floors
Are all rascist. The development of Multicultural societies speak for themselves.
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-13 19:21:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2012-12-13 19:23
Prometheus2 Post time: 2012-12-13 17:46
"It is civilised in any culture to listen and contribute and not interject continuously!"

I think  ...

Thank you for this. It is a given that in any discuss, academic or armchair punditry, there are exceptions to the rule. Constantly interjecting in any culture is wrong and glibly citing an episode of your English teacher of Chinese stock serves no purpose whatsoever. Why? I know a few BBC and their parents have limited education. This is no slur, it is a fact. And is anything wrong with that, no, not really. What I expect however is that a person whose parents are university educated will tend to act differently. I am only the messenger here however my empirical experience is definitive!

1) The education of these folks in the restaurant? This is not a snobbish point but people of varying education act different especially re decorum and social etiquette

2) Well it goes to A, really. I have met Chinese people that do not shout and I know what their parents do. I have also met Chinese people that shouts and I know their background. Yes profiling is endlessly fun and easily achieved.

This thing about shouting, interjecting at inappropriate juncture and generally acting like a bumpkin is universal. A degree of education tend to ensure that one stays silent until an appropriate lull in proceedings and the opportunity is seized to jump in and fire away

No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-13 19:31:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2012-12-13 19:32
Venable_Pang Post time: 2012-12-13 09:47
What's the most insane Chinese stereotype about foreigners?.

You forgot to add rich?

The most awful date I had was with a bitter Chinese girl that is now racist having lived here for 3 years post PG degree. She was at it, all her pet peeves, the way her ex bfs drank all their money in the pubs and had no money left by the next pay day, on and on. God, I would have loved to have marched her to the airport and deported her instantly! grrr..still sore that I didn't have the power to deport her as she probably hated everything here but earning more than she could ever dream of!

That said, since foreigners are taught to think and act independently, there is an advantage in quickness, clarity and sharpness of thought.

No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-17 18:01:10 |Display all floors
some people think all foreigners are rich, which is not true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-17 21:12:10 |Display all floors
letee Post time: 2012-12-17 18:01
some people think all foreigners are rich, which is not true.

how wise u r , i.e. Togo.
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-19 21:36:16 |Display all floors
some people think white people are good, which is not true.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.