Views: 33624|Replies: 46

What's the most insane Chinese stereotype about foreigners?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-12-7 10:51:20 |Display all floors
I contribute one, Most western guys are casual in term of relationship, is it insane or make sense?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-11 00:25:55 |Display all floors
What's the most iinsane Chinese stereotype about foreigners?

White guys are good people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-11 00:28:22 |Display all floors
casual=dont care much 'bout...just ask you rGF if she likes the idea of casual sex (option to shop around) then get back to us here...thankew in advance  {:soso_e113:}{:soso_e113:}
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-11 00:58:08 |Display all floors
This post was edited by vk3ukf at 2012-12-11 02:59

Hi waiboshu,

I think what you say about westerners being more casual in their early relationships is probably true.

As you know I am not a Chinese, I am in Australia.

I perceive the Chinese culture as a very polite and well mannered culture.

This is due to the way I was taught to behave and conduct myself by my parents and relatives.
Different cultures teach their kids to behave in different ways from the way I was taught.

I was taught to listen to others and then speak.

Manners are to be appreciated.

Politeness is to be appreciated.

I would like to share this small observation of different cultures, that I thought was rather amusing.

English culture and German culture.

I favour neither one nor the other and I have relatives from both.

I have worked with both, and understand enough German to make them laugh. (I tend to speak in Australian with German words, try and imagine it.)

My observation was that the two cultures often confuse each other, because they are generally unaware of their cultural differences and early social teachings.
They tended to think that the rest of the world is just like them, and if its not, then something is wrong.

Examples.

Particular traits or ways of conducting themselves socially.

Most of the Germans I have met were instrumental in educating me to this, and opening my eyes a bit, so, thanks to them.{:soso_e181:}

It is a German culture or social trait to talk at the same time as your friend, so that it indicates you are interested and have input to the conversation. They are taught this is poilte.

It is an English culture or trait to wait until the other has finished talking and then have your say.
They are taught this is poilte.

See a problem here yet?

Hypothetical situation.

German man and English man attempt a conversation.

English man starts talking, German man is interested and wants to add input and shows interest by talking at the same time.

English man see this as an arrogant interruption and stops talking.

German man then starts talking and English man listens.

German man thinks he is not interested as there is no input from the English man.

Result,

English man perceives German man as a bit arrogant or rude.

German man perceives English man as a bit ignorant and uninterested.

I am sure that when more cultures are understood by one, such situations as this, could appear often.

I perceive the Chinese culture to be more like English than German.
I know there are always exceptions in every culture.

I know that when friends get together for a good time, we can do what the Germans do, and everybody is talking at the same time.

In any culture, you just need to watch the locals a bit, and figure it out a bit with perhaps a few questions to make sure you have the correct idea of how to conduct yourself in a given situation.

The old saying becomes true.

Just do what the Romans are doing when in Rome, but not at home.

The day I stop learning will be the day I die. Maybe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-11 05:01:09 |Display all floors
vk3ukf Post time: 2012-12-10 08:58
Hi waiboshu,

I think what you say about westerners being more casual in their early relationships i ...

you wrote a lot of words here and it keeps sayin the same thing all over again & again  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-12-11 05:30:31 |Display all floors
I find the two cultures, very difficult to combine, we took the best of both cultures and made our own. If you are western our home culture will look Asian. If you are Asian it will look western.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-11 05:50:05 |Display all floors
Hi youknowhat,

Really?
Which parts are seeming repetitive.?

Sorry if so.

You may be quick at picking up an idea, others may like a fuller explanation of an idea.

I am trying to be as descriptive as possible.

Not every Chinese or non-English person may have a good grasp of English.

The day I stop learning will be the day I die. Maybe.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.