Author: Lewis8301

Hike crossing Tas Overland in Tasmania [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-12-4 00:23:00 |Display all floors
Hello folks,

I can help, I have been there.

In the first photos, the mountain in the distance is called Frenchman's Cap.
It was covered in snow, when I was there.

I did not stay at the place where the photo's were taken, I travelled though the area.
Nearby is a nice pub, you can get a nice meal and refreshment, and the is a park where wallabies are tame and you can sit with them.

From memory, this area is north western Tasmania.

Further to the west were my targets of interest.
The Copper, Zinc and Lead mines of Queenstown and Zeehan, and the Mount Darwin meteor impact crater, I wanted some impactite glass, rock that melted instantly when the asteroid struck the ground. The crater is becoming deformed from its great age as the mountains move, it is no longer perfectly circular.

I found the people of Queenstown to be amongst the friendliest crew I have ever chanced across.
I had the citizens radio in the car turned on and heard someone talking to one of their friends.
I waited for an opportunity to speak and announced myself. Minutes later we met and they gave us all the local info we asked about, they even gave us some copper mineral specimens to take home in case we found none ourselves.

I like Tasmania.

The day I stop learning will be the day I die. Maybe.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.