Post time 2004-4-20 21:14:02 |Display all floors

Lance Cpl. Ted J. Boudreaux says, "the photo was altered"

The latest news on this story from the Marine Corps Times
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2837622.php

April 19, 2004

Corps reopens investigation into controversial photo

By Laura Bailey
Times Staff Writer

The Marine Corps is reopening its investigation into a controversial photo circulating on the Internet after the reservist pictured in the image said the photo was altered from its original state.

The image shows a smiling Marine Lance Cpl. Ted J. Boudreaux Jr., posing with two Iraqi boys. All three have their thumbs up and, in the version that spurred the initial Marine Corps investigation, one of the boys holds a cardboard sign that appears to read “Lcpl Boudreaux killed my Dad, th[en] he knocked up my sister!”

The investigation was in its final review the week of April 11 when Maj. Gen. John J. McCarthy, commanding general of the 4th Marine Division, reopened it to take a closer look into whether the photo is authentic, said Capt. Patrick Kerr, a Reserve spokesman in New Orleans.

At question is whether the digital image was manipulated so that the statement on the cardboard sign was altered from the original photo.

The man pictured in the photo is Boudreaux, a reservist with Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Battalion, 23rd Marines, Reserve officials have confirmed. The New Orleans-based infantry unit deployed to the Kut area of Iraq in May and returned home in mid-September.

Other versions of the photo began appearing on Internet sites during the past week.

In one version posted at www.imagedump.com, a Web site that allows users to upload photos, the sign says “Lcpl. Boudreaux saved my dad th[en] he rescued my sister.” Another reads “My country got invaded and all I got was this lousy sign.”

Kerr said Boudreaux maintained throughout the investigation that the photo was altered by someone else.

D.H.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-22 11:32:50 |Display all floors

Pet's Name

Guess what....???
I'd named my pet rodent....Temico!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-23 12:16:12 |Display all floors

To: LTtong - Re:your reply

If I understood you correctly; yes, you are close enough. One should take into account that all facts and truths are relative, depending on ones innate bias and personal perspective.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-24 01:22:33 |Display all floors

latest news on the writing on the sign!

According to the marine's mother, the original sign didn't say anything at all about the Iraqi boys' father or sister.

It simply said "Welcome Marines."

So it looks like we've probably been arguing about nothing here, since <b>both</b> versions (killed/knocked up and rescued/saved) were doctored.  No wonder the E's and D's didn't match!

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2849589.php

D.H.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.