Author: jodysong

Ugly American [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-4-15 17:19:09 |Display all floors

all kinds of signs

I decided to check this out, and a quick google revealed at least three different versions of the sign:

Lcpl Bourdreaux saved my dad th[en] he rescued my sister

Lcpl Bourdreaux saved my dad th[en] he fixed up my sister

Lcpl Bourdreaux killed my dad th[en] he knocked up my sister

It's clear that there has been some photoshop editing going on; which one is genuine (if any) is hard to say.

However, the U.S. Marine Corps is investigating.  Lance Cpl. Ted J. Boudreaux Jr. was in Iraq from May to September of last year.  The truth should soon be known.  More info at
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2810106.php

D.H.

Use magic tools Report

jodysong has been deleted
Post time 2004-4-15 17:30:36 |Display all floors

appalled but still waiting

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-15 21:54:44 |Display all floors

The original photo tells a different story...

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=59682

This doctored version was sent to the US Marine Corps by an anti-American Arab interest group.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-16 08:15:49 |Display all floors

My opinion

Without having seen other pictures than the one posted in this thread I will give you all my professional opinion.

I lived and worked in several countries around Africa as a War Journalist and NEVER saw anybody doing something like this. I mean....do you really believe a Marine Corps would accept to have such picture taken, knowing he would be facing a severe punishment from the Military, not to mention the civil consequences in his country?

Furthemore, the word "killed" is NEVER used by the Marines. Marines NEVER "kill" they produce casualties in combat.

Finally, if you were a 12-13 year old kid, like the one in the picture, do you really think you would happily be standing beside an armed person who has "killed" your family?

I disagree completely with the "allied" occupation of Iraq, but I think that some things are just taken too far away, yes it is sad to see this picture, because it means that there are "dumb" people at both sides of the river; no wonder finding peace is so difficult!

Use magic tools Report

jodysong has been deleted
Post time 2004-4-16 09:18:17 |Display all floors

To jvt1965

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-16 11:29:18 |Display all floors

I have become an asker of questions, because no one is interested in my opinion.

Question: Would anyone agree that an English speaker person, or English speakers were involved in the picture and the sign, no matter the sign reads what or says what. ?

Question: Would anyone agree, that as Chinese, would we know which picture was first or last, would we have the skills in English to determione this that or the other.?

Question: If an English speaker or speakers were involved, can we say it was Westerners who produced the pictures and the words, or we can not say that, we must say that the pictures and words were produced by unknown * NON-WESTERM * people or persons. ?

Question: In any case, is the DARK HUMOR in the picture and the words, the Dark Humor of Africa, South America, or the North American continent.
Where excatly does this DARK HUMOR originate. ?

Question: Where excatly can I find the Western Press reports that speak out against this sign. ?

Thank You.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-16 11:31:40 |Display all floors

Once again...

...more condescending sweeping generalizations from Seneca.  You're pathetic.

>>if you need to spice up your spare time by spotting such dubious pictures and
>>broadcast them to a **gullible and naive home audience.**

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.