Author: vincent01

Photos: Forced drug detention center in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-9-20 19:05:42 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-9-20 00:05
No they are not about punishment .........

Even the normally biased BBC did a documentary on this ...

Bars on your room with orange jumpsuits is strongly redolent of prison.

These people are, as per the OP, coerced.

I think coercion is valuable in two settings. Firstly, the offender, who commits crimes (other than drug use), especially violence. Traffickers also fall into this group.

The other group is the pure drug dependent, without crime other than use, where dependence is likely to kill that person. Coercion is useful in this situation (to save a life). But this group should not be placed in the same group as offenders, in my view, as you only create more offenders.

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-20 19:12:52 |Display all floors
Current Western models of drug dependence treatment favour non-coercion. You could argue the pendulum has swung too far (in the sense of insufficient power and resources to save lives)

But this is a separate form of coercion to imprisonment, where the emphasis is on punishment.

In any case, prohibition and the War of Drugs are resounding failures.

On the other hand, tobacco use is much lower in my country, due to social policy and media awareness campaign. Nicotine (and probably other components of tobacco, I suspect) is comparably addictive to heroin and cocaine. Prohibition would only create a criminal market.

I am interested in the Danish, Swedish, German and now Portugese models of treatment. I suspect this is the future. They've reduced their heroin deaths significantly.
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-9-20 19:57:59 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2012-9-20 19:05
Bars on your room with orange jumpsuits is strongly redolent of prison.

These people are, as per  ...

So which ones are the coerced  ..........   

Care to point them out  .........     

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-9-20 20:24:48 |Display all floors
better this, then the bullet - which is (was?) as I remember standard treatment for drug owners

seems like those people are judged into category "have chance to be back into society", and "not caused serious damages into society

I doubt it there are drug dealers in that centre, beacouse drug dealers are often sentenced death (and in my personal opinion - it is fair trade "life for lifes (off unnamed addicted))

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-9-20 20:33:03 |Display all floors
WhiteBear Post time: 2012-9-20 20:24
better this, then the bullet - which is (was?) as I remember standard treatment for drug owners

see ...
drug dealers are often sentenced death

Only if caught with a quite large amount (I forget the amount at the moment)  ........

Someone with a few grammes will get prison  ..........

In the BBC documentary I mentioned in a previous post the girls had been caught in possession but it was a small amount designed to sell onto just one or two clients. They were also addicts and had been tricked into prostitution via drugs and also instructed to sell drugs on the street  .........

They had each had a seriously horrible life which started when they thought they could get rich in the city  ......

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-22 14:51:13 |Display all floors
I never see drugs in my life until now.

How to recognize them?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-23 16:29:01 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-9-20 21:57
So which ones are the coerced  ..........   

Care to point them out  .........     
Photos: Forced drug detention center in China
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.