Views: 4909|Replies: 16

Why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor in 1941? [Copy link] 中文

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-9-16 16:47:46 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 468259058 at 2012-10-7 15:30

Why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor in 1941?

Would Japan win in the WW2 and rule Asia now if it didn't attack Pearl Harbor?
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-16 17:07:10 |Display all floors
No.  It just hastened the US into the war.

The Reds would have still kicked the Japs out of China after beating the nazis.
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-18 22:59:10 |Display all floors
The question is completely rhetorical. Until some hard evidence is found, no one will ever know the real reason. The standard version is that the US was imposing an embargo on Japan's access to resources such as oil and they needed them out of the way to continue their expansionist war. I'm filling in a blank I don't know here, but I think Japan wanted to eliminate US power in the Pacific and restrain their navy to the US mainland- I don't think they had any plans of invasion (but with the Japan of that period, who knows? They were as crazy as the Nazis). Admiral Yamamoto, the story goes, was lukewarm about the attack and warned of the 'enemy's resolve' (the US) after it. The army under the Tojo's influence however won out and the attack was launched. Roosevelt, as rumor has it, knew in advance and allowed the attack. Supposedly the New Zealand PM's office warned the White House ahead of time of the huge armada, but was ignored. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it's true (I believe it is; makes sense).
To speculate on what would have happened had Japan not attacked Pearl Harbor is nonsensical as Japan would not have been able to extend its war or maintain it even under an embargo. So what happened happened. It was a brutal war for both sides that ended with Japan's total destruction.
Speculating on what the Soviet Union would have done in America's absence is likewise frivolous. Still, I like to imagine that over time China would have prevailed against Japan, at a tremendous loss. Without aid, Russia would have floundered on its Western Front and maybe have lost Moscow. Then they would have been embroiled with Japan in Manchuria. Who knows? This sort of thing is gibberish. Better to play Risk or something.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-18 23:20:05 |Display all floors
Oh, so no. The US, in control of the Philippines, would have strangled Japan's oil supply (as it was already doing) and Japan would have lost to China and the Soviet Union. Japan's plan to rule the world was hopeless and insane. Generals who are convinced of their armies' invincibility over scores of enemies covering a continent of territory always lose. History has seen some exceptions though (always one villain wonders like Atilla the Hun).  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-18 23:48:46 |Display all floors
because dem Nips were very, very naughtyl,
mmhkay?
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-19 07:53:27 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2012-9-16 17:07
No.  It just hastened the US into the war.

The Reds would have still kicked the Japs out of China a ...

Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand like stone. Kindness in anothers trouble, and .courage in your own. Annon.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-19 08:11:06 |Display all floors
It is interesting to speculate, politicians are ruthless paranoid scitzoes, what makes me wonder is the stupid way Japan is goading China. I believe China is much more mature and calculating than many have the good sense to believe. When the Flips were being silly their tomatoes suddenly disappeared from the supermarket shelves here. Something about quarantine?
Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand like stone. Kindness in anothers trouble, and .courage in your own. Annon.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.