Author: HK_rebel2

We win, you lose!   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-9-9 12:20:02 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-9-9 12:34:15 |Display all floors
LaughsatYou Post time: 2012-9-8 20:20
I don't think that right encompasses brain washing classes of children into having a pre disposed  ...

You have a tough time with reality I see.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-9 13:04:52 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-10 00:28:03 |Display all floors
Hey but what do I know, huh?

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-9-10 01:31:11 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2012-9-10 01:10
Tell Beijing you want Chris Patten back-he's under-employed working for the BBC.

Yes  ..........

Working for the BBC ...........

Nothing more natural than a man who single-handedly introduced democracy to Hong Kong before leaving ........

I just never understood why Hong Kongers never needed this for the preceeding 150 years  ........      

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-10 01:46:19 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-9-10 01:31
Yes  ..........

Working for the BBC ...........

They were sowing the seeds of democracy in the 80's, Patten took over as the last Governor in 1992 when he lost his MP's seat.

The question is do they want it ?  Thats a democratic question in itself-i dont see any polls for it but ive seen pro-democracy protests.
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-10 01:46:58 |Display all floors
By Malcolm Moore
3:19PM GMT 23 Mar 2012
But, as the handover to China in 1997 approached, Britain sowed the seeds for a democratic process.

In 1985, indirect elections started, with a council of 12 legislators chosen to represent the various sectors of the economy.

The following year, the first mass pro-democracy rally was held and in 1997, as Hong Kong returned to Chinese rule, a parting gift was written into the declaration signed by Lady Thatcher and Deng Xiaoping: the legislature of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region "shall be constituted by elections", it said.

China has kept to the agreement, although it has not granted universal suffrage. Instead, it has repeatedly foiled pro-democracy activists.

In 2004, the goal for a general election was pushed back from 2012 to 2017 without any explanation. The move reneged on a promise that Hong Kong itself would be allowed to set a timetable.

Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.