Author: JFenix

The Polarization of Politics in the US   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-9-9 11:41:26 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Revolutionar at 2012-9-9 11:42
SMITHI Post time: 2012-9-9 10:50
look every azzhole can read speach written by puppetmasters in AIPAC but not every azzhole can do  ...

We are on  the subject of speeches.

Those who want to improve their speech making skills should watch Joe Biden in that convention speech.

One hell of a good speech.

On the subject of governance and politics.

It does not harm to have closer relationships between the leaders and the led.

That is the essence of democracy
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-9 16:55:09 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SMITHI at 2012-9-9 16:55
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-9-9 11:41
We are on  the subject of speeches.

Those who want to improve their speech making skills should wa ...

That is the essence of democracy

so essence is talking talk and carry on with murder and pillaging you are saying?
wow i had no clue that is democracy, but i don't doubt you believe so

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-9 19:11:09 |Display all floors
SMITHI Post time: 2012-9-9 16:55
so essence is talking talk and carry on with murder and pillaging you are saying?
wow i h ...

murder and pillaging......................that is best left to medieval dictators such as Stalin and Putin..........................
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-9 19:57:46 |Display all floors
Here is an interesting article I found talking about how the changing demographics will effect the election:

It has been interesting, for me and I’m sure others, watching the Republican and Democratic conventions. What a contrast, particularly, from a New York perspective.

Just in case you were wondering, New York City doesn’t look or sound like Macon, Ga. Within the span of a few blocks you hear a cacophony of languages -- Spanish (in several dialects) French, Italian, Dutch. You name it and you hear it in this toddling town. There are also several versions of English -- from Brooklyn to the Bronx to the tony sections of SoHo -- all with different inflections of the same language. They say Southerners talk funny. That’s true, but it is also true folks up here talk funny, too.

If you don’t want to rub elbows, or you get offended when a stranger pops into your personal space, do not come here. People get all inside your personal space from the streets to the subway system. There are people everywhere and rubbing elbows and other body parts can’t be avoided.

Passing by Ellis Island, looking at the Statue of Liberty that’s greeted immigrants looking for a better life for 126 years, I’m reminded of how diverse we are as a country. Nowhere has that been more evident than at the two political conventions.

I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am, I didn’t watch every minute of the Republican convention (I also didn’t watch every minute of the Democratic convention) but where were the people who look like me at the Republican convention? The answer is simple -- they weren’t there. Well they were, you just didn’t see many of them. Of the 2,286 Republican delegates, only 47 were black.

On the Democratic side it was much different, 1,452 of the 5,551 delegates were black. Just for plum’s sake, that’s 2 percent for Republicans as opposed to 26 percent for Democrats. As far as Latinos, there were 800, the highest number of any Democratic convention. Fox News couldn’t get the figures of Latino participation from the RNC as of Friday.

What does this say about America, and what does it say about November and beyond?

It says this. Republicans can’t win -- unless those folks who have been passing by me in the subway stations of Queens and Brooklyn and Harlem and other ethnic neighborhoods around the country don’t vote.

Democrats have succeeded in making this election about who is for and who is against this or that. I could give examples, but you know what those issues are

Whether you agree or not, many women will feel the Republican platform is against them. While you could say the Democratic platform has moved left, there is no doubt the Republican platform has moved far right.

But let’s get to the crux of the matter. This country demographically is not the country it once was. The white men and women who believe they need to take the country back don’t have the numbers to take anything back. Besides, those folks who they want to take the country from are Americans, too. You can’t take something away from folks that is rightfully theirs without stealing.

That’s why Republicans have attempted to subvert the vote through voter identification laws and redistricting. Want examples? Look at Texas.

It is about numbers and the old axiom -- figures don’t lie, but liars figure -- applies. So if you can’t win honestly -- cheat. That’s what voter identification is all about. The logic doesn’t compute for any other conclusion. Republicans understand that it’s impossible to commit voter fraud at the precinct level that would throw an election. However, the gaping hole of absentee balloting remains unfilled and both parties take advantage.

I’m not telling you who to vote for. I am telling you to vote. And for those who feel America is slipping away from them, they are right. America was never designed to fit their vision of this nation.

What this election will say unequivocally is how fast the transformation from a majority white nation to an ethnic majority nation will take place. It may not happen this election but it will happen much faster than anyone can imagine.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-9 21:53:11 |Display all floors
brobostigon Post time: 2012-9-8 02:43
Every party has their share of nutters, but I'd have to agree with JFenix – there is a palatable se ...

Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand like stone. Kindness in anothers trouble, and .courage in your own. Annon.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-9 21:59:41 |Display all floors
Really enjoying reading these articles Jfenix. Please keep them coming if you find any more.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-9-10 02:29:22 |Display all floors
vorgal78 Post time: 2012-9-9 21:59
Really enjoying reading these articles Jfenix. Please keep them coming if you find any more.

Thanks!  Well the first was just my own observations.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.