Views: 2791|Replies: 2

10-year-old sends letter to disqualified olympians [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-8-15 21:09:17 |Display all floors
(Photo from Twitter)
The Canadian men's 4x100 relay team were disqualified in London, but they've won a medal that's perhaps even more precious than Olympic bronze.

Elijah Porter, a 10-year-old boy from Newfoundland, wrote the men a heartwarming letter and sent his own Timbits medal along with it.

"When I heard what happened on Aug. 11, I knew it was wrong," writes Elijah. "The rules were not right."

The team were celebrating a third-place finish when they were hit with devastating news: they were disqualified. After the standings had already been announced, judges reviewed the race and saw that team member Jared Connaughton had stepped on the line during a turn, a violation that is grounds for automatic disqualification.

When Elijah grows up and becomes a rich biologist, he says he will donate money so that future Canadian Olympians can take a shot at the podium (if he remembers).
Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-17 15:10:17 |Display all floors
Well it certainly is heartwarming.
Unfortunately, that was my nation's team (yes, I am Canadian :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-17 16:20:05 |Display all floors
darknyan Post time: 2012-8-17 15:10
Well it certainly is heartwarming.
Unfortunately, that was my nation's team (yes, I am Canadian :)

Participating is more important than winning medals
Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.