Views: 3740|Replies: 6

Do Money and Marriage Mix? [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-8-3 17:06:36 |Display all floors

Many couples find that maintaining separate checkbooks helps keep the marital peace.

I recently took a look at what spouses needed to consider when keeping their finances separate and how to split shared expenses.

Most of the couples said the arrangement worked because they have different spending philosophies than their spouses.

Husbands spoke of big-screen TVs they bought freely, and wives shopped online without a peep from their other half, all thanks to separate finances.

Both liked the independence of having at least some of their own money and felt relief not having to really know about every little thing their spouse was spending money on. The set-up helped keep fights at bay, they said.

But readers had strong views on keeping finance separate. Many went as far as to say that couples who keep separate finances aren't fully committed to their unions:

'Why even get married in the first place? Marriage is about trust and compromise, two people as one,' wrote Thomas Huynh.

'It's clear to me that this type of arrangement [sic] is focused on 'assets' and 'accounts' and 'money' and 'things'##not on love, or family or health or happiness#..they are definitely NOT a 'couple',' wrote Nora Leen.

'Perfect example of the 'me, me, me' generation of self centered twerps who will be through 20 relationships by 40 and then lavish the kind of attention on their dog they they [sic] did not do on their spouse,' commented John Cooper.

Others defended separate accounts and shared stories of how they had worked for them:

'I agree, separate accounts! I can't even look at his Fidelity account without wanting to hit 'SELL,'' wrote Laurie Holasek.

'My wife is completely incapable of managing any amount of money. She is also incapable of discussing money without becoming emotional. So we have a joint account#[and] She has a small checking account for her part-time salary,' wrote John Haynes.

But there was a common thread among both shared-account cheerleaders and naysayers: Couples needed to communicate about money lest it tear a marriage apart.

Commenters with separate accounts said they'd needed to establish 'rules' on how to split shared expenses and the couples sharing everything had to discuss purchases, especially big ones.

Readers: what do you think of keeping separate finances from your spouse? Do you think it says anything about the strength of a marriage?

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-3 17:30:23 |Display all floors
Someone told me "No good,no love",do you think so?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-3 18:53:35 |Display all floors
Money and Marriage did never match and will never......

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-6 13:45:35 |Display all floors
His money is separated from your marriage undoubtedly.{:soso_e163:}{:soso_e177:}

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-6 17:47:59 |Display all floors
I agree the seperate finance rule.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-7 09:59:25 |Display all floors
totally needed!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-8-7 13:43:27 |Display all floors
It's suitable for second marriage, but for the original spouse, unnecessay to keep money secret or independent. No trust exsists and more barriers between the two.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.