Views: 6874|Replies: 15

The last eight men’s spirit power   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-7-22 09:09:41 |Display all floors

Eight ordinary old villagers only do two things in 30 years in Luliang, Yunnan province. They plant trees and protect the mountains. Their eight pairs of hands plant about 10,000 hectares of forest on bald mountains and contribute their forest to the nation for free. Their daily salary is only $0.1 cent. Their only requirement for the government is that they can have social securities for their basic cost of living allowances.

Local lava landscape makes it hard to plant trees. But the eight old men did it with their hands. This is the wood they create.

This photo was taken on Feb 22, 2012, they are Wang Xiaomiao, Wang Jiashou, Wang Jiade, Wang Changqu, Wang Yunfang, Wang Jiayun, Wang Kaihe and Wangdeying. Wang Xiaomiao was shocked by the famine mountains he saw in 1980 and decided to plant trees. The other seven men joined him. They might never expect that they would stay working on the mountains for 32 years till now.

They only used their hands and simple tools in 30 years dealing with the stone mountains. The hardship of their work is unimaginable for common people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-22 09:10:49 |Display all floors

This is one foot of Wang Xiaomiao.

They named the forest as Huamushan Forest in 1984 and this name is now widely accepted.

Wang Changqu, 75, said: “I just felt my work is glorious and honourable, so I did it with great passion. The spirit motivates me till now.”

This is a photo of them taken in 1990s. They already look like old men then.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-22 09:12:10 |Display all floors

Although they have illnesses, they still live happily together like blood brothers.

Wang Deying, 78, saves every penny for his family, even though his income is so poor.

Wang Xiaomiao, 72, is the leader of the team. His son died of fever in 1983 at 17 year old. He did not know it until 10 days later when he returned home from the mountains.

Wang Yunfang, 84, almost died of heart attack last year. He feels painful on his abdomen and presses his hands on his abdomen all the time to relieve the pains

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-22 09:14:18 |Display all floors

Wang Jiade, 79, looks after his paralyzed wife and works on the farm. He is looking forward to his 80, because he can get 1 yuan’s aid from the government every day.

Wang Kaihe, tall and humourous, said: “This damn shelter will collapse soon”, standing under the house he built himself.

Wang Jiayun, nearly blind and deaf, is always teased by the others as a dupe.

Wang Jiashou, 78, is losing weight quickly and has serious tracheitis and coughs every few minutes.

Wang Changqu, 75, still looks after his two grandsons now, because his son is in the prison and his daughter-in-law married the other man after divorcing his son.

Wang Yunfang cannot work now and only walks everyday. He hopes the government can give him the lowest allowance one day before his death.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-22 11:38:09 |Display all floors
I feel heavy and sad deep inside for these great and lovely people. They give greatest contribures to the society, and gain least. What a simple and hard life they are living! Should the government give them more social security?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2012-7-22 16:01:29 |Display all floors
原野0324 Post time: 2012-7-22 11:38
I feel heavy and sad deep inside for these great and lovely people. They give greatest contribures t ...

Tough life of some Tough people

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-7-22 19:16:27 |Display all floors
原野0324 Post time: 2012-7-22 11:38
I feel heavy and sad deep inside for these great and lovely people. They give greatest contribures t ...

I think what these men have done is incredible. They should be given a large pension (50,000 RMB a year) and a big party held for them. They truly deserve hero status as few others would do what they have done for so little.  They should be an inspiration to the world!
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.