Author: cd_moderator

【Editorial】No more provocations [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-17 13:56:27 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-7-17 13:46
Britain did not claim ownership of the Atlantic

But China claims ownership of South China Sea.

So what is a 200 mile maritime exclusion zone then ..........   ?

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-17 14:00:34 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-7-17 13:56
So what is a 200 mile maritime exclusion zone then ..........   ?

That is called exclusive economic zone.

Has China declared himself a war zone stretching all the way to Philippines?
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-7-17 14:02:56 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-7-17 13:46
Britain did not claim ownership of the Atlantic

But China claims ownership of South China Sea.

These are the 'Territorial Water' claims form the US NOAA Office of Coast Survey .......

Territorial Sea

The territorial sea is a maritime zone over which the United States exercises sovereignty. Sovereignty extends to the airspace above and to the seabed below the territorial sea. The U.S. territorial sea extends 12 nautical miles from the baseline.

Contiguous Zone

The contiguous zone of the United States is a zone contiguous to the territorial sea. In this zone, the U.S. may exercise the control necessary to prevent and punish infringement of its customs, fiscal, immigration, cultural heritage, or sanitary laws and regulations within its territory or territorial sea. The U.S. contiguous zone is measured 24 nautical miles from the baseline.

Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ)

The exclusive economic zone (EEZ) of the U.S. extends 200 nautical miles from the territorial sea baseline and is adjacent to the 12 nm territorial sea of the U.S., overlapping the 12-24nm contiguous zone. Within the EEZ, the U.S. has:

sovereign rights for the purpose of exploring, exploiting, conserving and managing natural resources, whether living and nonliving, of the seabed and subsoil and the superjacent waters and with regard to other activities for the economic exploitation and exploration of the zone, such as the production of energy from the water, currents and winds

jurisdiction as provided for in international and domestic laws with regard to the establishment and use of artificial islands, installations, and structures, marine scientific research, and the protection and preservation of the marine environment

other rights and duties provided for under international and domestic laws

Seems the US can claim sea but others may not ...........     
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left  -   Oscar Levant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-17 14:03:48 |Display all floors
Revolutionar Post time: 2012-7-17 14:00
That is called exclusive economic zone.

Has China declared himself a war zone stretching all the  ...

Who has declared war ............  ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-17 14:08:14 |Display all floors
lionsclub Post time: 2012-7-17 10:52
as the west runs out of ways to make money legitimately, they will increasingly resort to provocati ...

Seems to me that it's China doing the provoking of pretty much all its neighbours at the moment. It's muscle flexing time now there's a second hand aircraft carrier with a new coat of paint to play with.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-17 14:09:22 |Display all floors
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2012-7-17 11:57
Go play with your marbles and think you could be run over by a truck or choked to death by a fish b ...
Being young is no surety you can live longer than the older person.

but it's usually a pretty good indicator, statistically speaking.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-7-17 14:18:40 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-7-17 14:02
These are the 'Territorial Water' claims form the US NOAA Office of Coast Survey .......

But China wants to one up US and go all the way to Philipines.

While what you have posted about US is well within generally recognized principles.
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.