Author: JFenix

Is Texas dad who killed man to protect his 5-year-old daughter a criminal?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-6-17 17:23:56 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2012-6-17 19:15
Right now he hasn't been charged with anything.  A grand jury will be deciding whether to bring ch ...
And I doubt if the girl would have to testify.  She was taken to the hospital and questioned by police.  They would more than likely just go on her statements and any forensic evidence found.  I'm sure they did a rape kit on her when she went to the hospital, so they've already scraped her fingernails and have done everything to collect DNA evidence to collaborate the story.

I hope you are right there and you probably are
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 17:30:17 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2012-6-17 17:23
I hope you are right there and you probably are

Some reports are putting her at 4 years old.  That's awful young to have to give a testimony like that.

Really all they need is his skin found under her fingernails or something like that.  I'm sure it would be hard to find someone on the jury that would be sympathetic to a child molester. Their sympathies will be with the father.  The police have even made statements in support of the father.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 17:34:36 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2012-6-17 19:30
Some reports are putting her at 4 years old.  That's awful young to have to give a testimony like  ...

you are right, proof of assault and a statement should do it

testimony is completely unnecessary
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 17:41:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by JFenix at 2012-6-17 17:43

Interesting

“We have an instinctual desire to protect our kids,” says David Finkelhor, 
director of the Crimes against Children Research Center at the University of New Hampshire. “A sexual threat is seen as a mortal threat against their future and their reputation. It is almost like a trigger where we are completely entitled to feel righteous anger.”

Are we completely entitled to use lethal force? That’s a question that will be decided in the coming weeks. I’m betting the answer is yes.

-healthland.time.com

I don't think I agree about it being a 'mortal threat against their future and their reputation' - I think most about the emotional damage done, the loss of innocence.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 17:47:02 |Display all floors
More details have emerged from the case:

======================================================

The identity of the man who was beaten to death in a rural area of Lavaca County has been released.

Lavaca County Sheriff Micah Harmon sent out a press release announcing that 47-year old Jesus Mora Flores, who had a driver’s license showing a Gonzales address, was the man killed during the incident.
At approximately 3:43 p.m. on June 9, authorities received a 9-1-1 call from a distraught man urgently seeking medical care for a man who had been assaulted. The caller described the man was in need of immediate medical care from injuries he sustained from the father of a five-year old child the man was allegedly attempting to sexually assault.

Upon arrival, law enforcement and emergency medical personnel observed Flores on the scene suffering from numerous injuries to the head and neck area. After talking to witnesses on the scene,

it was discovered that a witness observed Flores forcibly carrying the child off to a secluded area. The witness ran for help and alerted the child’s father.

At that time the father heard a scream and ran in the direction of the sound, eventually coming upon Flores attacking his child. The father immediately removed Flores from on top of his child and in the process inflicted several blows to the man’s head and neck area.

“The physical evidence at the scene appeared to substantiate the father’s account,” said Harmon.

“When emergency medical personnel arrived, Flores’ pants and underwear were down and the man’s genitals were exposed.”

Further investigation, which was assisted by the Texas Rangers, included an autopsy, a physical exam and forsenic interview of the child and several detailed witness statements. All of the physical evidence gathered to date and the witness statements corroborated the father’s statement, Harmon’s news release noted.

The results of the preliminary autopsy report were released by Yoakum Justice of the Peace Alene Lyons, which said Flores died from “blunt force head and neck injuries.” The manner of death was ruled as a homicide. Lyons said the entire report will likely be released in the next six to eight weeks depending on how soon the toxicology report is completed.

The results of the victim’s physical exam, which took place at De Tar Hospital in Victoria, are still pending.

“Despite the other factors involved this is still a homicide investigation and I appreciate the Rangers assisting my office in completing the investigation,” said Harmon.

District Attorney Heather McMinn recently met with the Texas Rangers and Harmon to review the investigation and discuss further action.

“At this time I believe the homicide investigation should be sent to the Grand Jury,” she said through a press release. “Sheriff Harmon made the right decision in not arresting the father at the time of the incident. All of the evidence surrounding this homicide will be presented to the Grand Jury as soon as possible.”

Harmon indicated that he believed the child’s father was very remorseful and did not intend to kill Flores.

“This case has been very traumatizing on  the child, her father, and his entire family,” he said. “I’m thankful the investigation is complete and that the District Attorney will be presenting it to the Grand Jury next week.”

A call made to the Lavaca County District Clerk’s office said the next scheduled date for the Grand Jury to convene was July 10.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 17:58:25 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2012-6-17 19:41
Interesting
I don't think I agree about it being a 'mortal threat against their future and their reputation' - I think most about the emotional damage done, the loss of innocence.

I think of it as cultural and ethical

The ethical part of it is the issue of consent with a minor

This is cast iron with pre-pubescent children but becomes more problematic with older teenagers, unless the adult is a position of authority, in which case it is a clear breach of boundary

The cultural part is a modern invention, when you look at history in a variety of cultures

For sure, there is emotional damage, but the reasons for this deserve better (objective) understanding

Having reviewed a large number of cases of young adult females imprisoned or convicted for sexual liaisons with older teenage males, it strikes me that there was very little emotional damage except that caused by shame in the setting of the legalistic framework in which the media and society view it

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 18:02:54 |Display all floors
one case, especially, involved a group of teenage males taking bets on who could seduce the young adult female teacher

and they paid the winner

the teacher was convicted

I think there is something deeply unjust about that outcome
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.