Author: timbatu

"Rule of Law" a Corrupt and Bankrupt Western System   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-6-16 23:51:05 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2012-6-16 23:23
Right on!

Thank-you JFenix. I find it discouraging to see so many pessimists at the age of 70!
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 01:06:02 |Display all floors
The sages say....truth, morality and rule of law must not be sacrificed to the altar of development. If you do, you will be poisoned, your country will be poisoned, the development will be poisoned.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 01:14:28 |Display all floors
A few comments on one of Timbo's usual anti-US rants:

1) The US is not "The West". Any views you have on the US legal system being bankrupt hold only for the US
2) The Chinese could always start with a separate judicial system ... and actually enforce the laws evenly
3) Lawyers are always needed - otherwise who is going to make your case in the best light when you are accused of wrongdoing? See above - lawyers in the Chinese system currently face so many hurdles that the verdict is often assured prior to the case beginning!

It's not all black and white, Timbo. Not that I expect you to admit that. You should just change your signature to USA is bad, bad, bad - China is good, good, good.
"A king ceases to be a king, and degenerates into a tyrant, as soon as he leaves off to rule according to his laws." King James 1 in 1603.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 01:39:16 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2012-6-16 23:51
Thank-you JFenix. I find it discouraging to see so many pessimists at the age of 70!

I just hate the east vs. west rivalry.

We should just accept there is something we can learn from everyone.

We are more alike than different.  We are all humans so there is just no need for this rivalry.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 01:50:00 |Display all floors
This post was edited by timbatu at 2012-6-17 01:51
JFenix Post time: 2012-6-16 23:26
I kind of agree with you on this one.

We do have too many laws and I agree with you about the lawye ...

Sure. There is another point, almost all of the US rulings are based on politics, not based on strict interpretation of the law. If you are doing such, why do you need the law in the first place?

The fat guy loved by the Sinophobic West.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 01:53:58 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2012-6-16 23:19
I'm pro-China but in favour of the so-called "Western" rule of law. Yes, it is imperfect; but it can ...

You do not see to understand what I am talking about. I suggest you carefully read my post. Close your eyes and carefully think what I am saying. After 3 days fo doing this, then you can come back and post.

The fat guy loved by the Sinophobic West.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-17 02:02:09 |Display all floors
timbatu Post time: 2012-6-17 01:50
Sure. There is another point, almost all of the US rulings are based on politics, not based on stri ...

But what politics?  What are you talking about specifically?

I've seen other corruption in small towns.  Greed was more influentional than politics.
It became apparent that they were more interested in using fines as a steady source of a revenue stream for the city than anything else.  It was used to justify bigger budgets and larger police force where it was not really needed.  They only had one municipal court judge and he had been exposed in many a scandall.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.