Author: 1584austin

Why Hong Kongers Hate Being Called Chinese   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-6-19 05:19:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2012-6-19 05:23
manoj10 Post time: 2012-6-16 14:51
Ofcourse the word Chinese not only includes Mainland, it will also include Mainland, Taiwan, HK, Mac ...
However most folks will use  terms such as Taiwanese and Hong Konger bla blah and will never use Chinese.
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-19 05:26:51 |Display all floors
Why don’t Hong Kongers think of themselves as Chinese? What’s wrong with being a Chinese for them?

“In their mind, Chinese people are less cultivated,” she says. “They don’t want to become a part of them. And internationally, Hong Kong has a higher status than Mainland people. So they don’t want to admit they’re Chinese. They just say, ‘I’m a Hong Konger.’”

At the same university, government studies professor Ma Ngok suggests a few reasons Hong Kongers might be feeling this way.

“Some people are worried that the Mainland tourists came and pushed local consumer prices up,” he says. “And for the lower class immigrants, some worried that they took away welfare, and were a burden on Hong Kong society. Of course, the most recent debate is about Mainland women, who come down to give birth in Hong Kong.”
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-19 23:35:16 |Display all floors
This post was edited by rot at 2012-6-19 23:47
freetofly Post time: 2012-6-17 20:09
Mainlanders always treat Hong Kongers as our close siblings

There might be misundersta ...

The problems lies with the upper and middle class clowns.
Many got to their wealth and high social position by attending the best schools and university in Hong Kong.
In the gweilo colonial days, many the best of best institutes were off limit to local Chinese. There was a way around it....become a Christian. Allow yourself to be baptised and sell your Motherland was the way forward for many of today's HK tycoons.

The out-going lame duck boss Sir Donald Tsang is a catholic, so are half the HK legislators.
Their loyalty seemingly leaned to their former colonial masters.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-19 23:37:44 |Display all floors
The yearly 6-4 party in Victoria Park are organised by members of the Catholic Church of Hong Kong.
HK is a perfect place to breed Chinese traitors.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2012-10-24 00:14:39 |Display all floors
rot Post time: 2012-6-19 23:37
The yearly 6-4 party in Victoria Park are organised by members of the Catholic Church of Hong Kong.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-24 01:02:09 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-10-24 01:09:43 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.