Author: Rearwindow

Is smartphone the death of conversation?   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-5-31 12:39:44 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-5-31 12:13
China is in a different situation to that that obtains in Sinagpore or Europe: The fixed telephone ...

Yes I'm only too well aware of that seneca.

A dear friend in Beijing who is a producer for one of China's major business TV shows has 4 mobile phones going non stop and many other friends in China have complained about the pressures put on them by calls 24/7 from slave driver bosses and worse in a couple of cases (non stop sexual harassment by the boss)

From my perspective when I am in China and working, I use my satellite phone, the cost of calling it tends to put people off from calling me unless it is essential.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-31 13:09:26 |Display all floors
Cellpnone is a tool for comunnication in my case.  Let's just not talk simply it facilitate communication and provide convenience.

Smartphone comes with shock to all.   I am not sure if there is the age thing to be considered right here.   Does the young tend to toat and tap on a smarthpone more often than the elder one?  I find it fun to use a smartphone,  much better than the old ones.  Technology advance so rapid so that I, for one, am setting aside more budget to catch up with the trend.  But so long as it is providing new and pratical experience, I am for it.

Besides, it really bores me a lot to wait in the line for the bus or staying the in metro bus.  Smartphone does offer a good way of life.   

Let's just embrace what's fun and wait for the new round of cellphone advancement.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-31 15:07:10 |Display all floors
jennsweetie Post time: 2012-5-31 13:09
Cellpnone is a tool for comunnication in my case.  Let's just not talk simply it facilitate communic ...

right , that's how I'm killing time during the long commuting time
Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-2 14:33:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by warrigal at 2012-6-2 14:35
jennsweetie Post time: 2012-5-31 13:09
Cellpnone is a tool for comunnication in my case.  Let's just not talk simply it facilitate communic ...

I agree, I remember when radios had valves as big as a pint glass. In the 50's I bought a transistor radio about as big as the older cell phones, and was thought a wonder among my peers (ha ha). Now with video call, and soon with auto language, I think the art of conversation will return. I don't open suspicious Emails, just select, consign to spam and empty spam folder, simple. The reason most people use text, is because it remains the lowest cost form of communication. My I-phone 3Gs has mobile internet capabilities, but they remain switched off while the cost is prohibitive (for me anyway). Texting somebody in the same room seems stupid to me. The ability to block or filter the spammers, scammers, thieves, liars, and scallywags is essential for preserving ones sanity. I enjoy working from home trading, I think the international video conference is just fantastic, the "good old days", fun to remember the good bits, but that's about all.
Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand like stone. Kindness in anothers trouble, and .courage in your own. Annon.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.