Views: 5899|Replies: 8

The Lady, Or The Tiger? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-4-5 20:26:55 |Display all floors
Probably you have already known something about this short story. There are mainly two characters , one is a young man, tall ,beautiful (maybe nowadays it is not a probable expression to describe a man), fair, whose appearance was greeted with a low hum of admiration. One is a princess. They fell in love with each other. However, at that time, their love was not blessed. Her father , a semi-barbaric king was a man of exuberant fancy, and ,withal, of an authority so irresistible that, at his will, he turned his varied fancies into facts.  Among the borrowed notions by which his barbarism bad become semified was that of the public arena, in which, by exhibitions of manly and beastly valor, the minds of his subjects were refined and cultured. Therefore, the young man had faced a terrible fate.
In the arena, he had to make a choice. Behind  one door, there is a young , beautiful lady. If he opened it, she would be his wife immediately. Behind the other door, there is a fatal tiger. If he opened the one , there came out of it a hungry tiger, the fierest and most cruel that could be procured, which immediately sprang upon him, and tore him  to pieces as a punishment. The princess knew which door could save her lover's life.
The question is whether she will tell him where the lady was. It concerns about the human heart, also about woman's heart.
Could you have a try. Tell something about your opinion. Do you think  the princess will sacrifice her love to another woman? Do you think the young man will follow her direction and open the door she pointed secretly?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-6 05:08:59 |Display all floors

this is for Chinese I suppose

There are at least two aspects of this story that are according to Chinese, not at all Western, stereotype:

1) The romantic hero is a scholarly (refined and beautiful) rather than a soldierly (fearless and strong)  type.

2) Love always ends badly.

In the West the guy would open both doors, slay the tiger and rescue both damsels.

Of course in both East and West the stereotypical love stories are invariably wildly implausible.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-7 13:39:49 |Display all floors

Hard choice.

I agree with what you have said about the story.
However, according to the king's rule, the man can only open one door.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-11 15:45:44 |Display all floors

Can you share with me some of your thoughts.

Please leave some ideas here. I would like to listen to your opinions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-11 17:47:44 |Display all floors

Easy!

The guy should tell the King that he love his daughter.And ask him to open the door which hide a tiger.kill it at once.HAHA.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-12 17:09:07 |Display all floors

Good idea!

I agree with you. Maybe you were that man. Haha.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-17 17:27:21 |Display all floors

Interesting

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.