Views: 2974|Replies: 0

Dalai Lama Quotes [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-5-15 07:14:39 |Display all floors
[This post was edited by Chinoy at 2012-5-15 07:14]

"Human beings by nature want happiness and do not want suffering.  With that
feeling everyone tries to achieve happiness and tries to get rid of suffering, and everyone has the basic right to do this.  In this way, all here are the same, whether rich or poor, educated or uneducated, Easterner or Westerner, believer or non-believer, and within believers whether Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and so on.  Basically, from the viewpoint of real human value we are all the same."-- His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from "Kindness, Clarity, and Insight."

"Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion." -- His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from "Kindness, Clarity, and Insight" by Snow Lion Publications.

"I find that because of modern technological evolution and our global
economy, and as a result of the great increase in population, our world has
greatly changed:  it has become much smaller.  However, our perceptions have not evolved at the same pace; we continue to cling to old national demarcations and the old feelings of 'us' and 'them'.
"War seems to be part of the history of humanity.  As we look at the situation of our planet in the past, countries, regions and even villages were economically independent of one another.  Under those circumstances, the destruction of our enemy might have been a victory for us.  There was a a relevance to violence and war.  However, today we are so interdependent that the concept of war has become out dated.  When we face problems or disagreements today, we have to arrive at solutions through dialogue.  Dialogue is the only appropriate method.  One-sided victory is no longer relevant.  We must work to resolve conflicts in a spirit of reconciliation and always keep in mind the interests of others.  We cannot destroy our neighbors! We cannot ignore their interests!  Doing so would ultimately cause us to suffer.  I therefore think that the concept of violence is now unsuitable.  Nonviolence is the appropriate method."-- His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from 'An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life', available from Snow Lion Publications.

"According to Buddhism, there is a commensurate relationship between cause and effect where pain and pleasure are concerned.  The immediate cause is karma. Karma means action.  Tomorrow's events depend very much on today's actions, this year's events on last year's, while this century's events are linked with those of the previous centuries.  The actions of previous generations affect the lives of the generations that follow.  This is also a kin of karma.  However, there is a difference between actions carried out by a group of people or sentient beings jointly, and actions carried out by single person.  In individual cases, the actions of the earlier part of one's life have an effect on the latter part of one's life.-- His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from 'Live in a Better Way: Reflections on Truth, Love and Happiness', available from Snow Lion publications.

"We often speak of the external enemy.  For example, in my own case,
our Chinese brothers and sisters are destroying Tibetan rights and,
in that way, more suffering and anxiety develops.  But no matter how
forceful this is, it cannot destroy the supreme source of my
happiness, which is my calmness of mind.  This is something an
external enemy cannot destroy.  Our country can be invaded, our
possessions can be destroyed, our friends can be killed, but these
are secondary for our mental happiness.  The ultimate source of my
mental happiness is my peace of mind.  Nothing can destroy this
except my own anger."-- His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from 'The Dalai
Lama's Book of Wisdom', available from Snow Lion Publications.

"We find that if a person lives a very selfish life and is never concerned about the welfare of others, he will have few friends, and people will not take much notice of him.  At the time of his death, there will not be many people who will regret his passing.  Some deceptive and negative persons may be very powerful and wealthy, and therefore some people- for economic reasons and so forth- might portray themselves as friends, but they will speak against such person behind their back.  When these negative person die, these very same "friends" may rejoice at their death.

"On the other hand, many people mourn and regret the death of a person who is
very kind and always altruistic and who works for the benefit of others.  We
find that altruism, as well as the person who possesses it, is regarded as the friend of all, and it becomes the object of veneration and respect by others."-- His Holiness the Dalai Lama, from "Path to Bliss:  A Practical Guide to Stages of Meditation", published by Snow Lion Publications.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.