Author: haishiwo

Is it hard for expats to make Chinese friends?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-5-11 16:25:02 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-5-11 15:59
Nah, most foreigners think this way

There are not enough reasons to express the phenomenon. Anyway, personal view is very important in it.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-5-11 16:36:41 |Display all floors
RealMadrid1 Post time: 2012-5-11 16:14
Amy_Kyo, well written.

There always seems to be a competition, particularly with Chine ...

I remember one time I was at a friend's bar sipping on a Qing Dao. A group of four 30 years old chinese men at the table next to me offered me to join them so I went over. Very quickly one of the men said "oh I see you are drinking Qing Dao, do you like Chinese beer ?". And I replied that I do not particularly enjoy Chinese beer in general because I find the taste to be very blend, it is good when you're thirsty but I do not particularly enjoy it, except for Sinkiang Black Beer.

Well, apparently I shamed the whole people of China and the guys started to yell at me "F*** OFF, if you don't like China, why don't you go back to your SH*T country ?". So I just went back to the table I was sitting at originally but one of the guy kept yelling at me and started to push me around (which, considering my height and weight is generally a very bad idea).
In the end my friend came out and asked everybody to calm down and keep quiet but the guys continued their racket and muttered bad words at me the whole time.

All this because I said Chinese beer is not the best beer in the world...
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-11 21:47:17 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-5-11 17:36
I remember one time I was at a friend's bar sipping on a Qing Dao. A group of four 30 years old ch ...

sorry my friend,
as a guest of a country, you should have known better...
doing it at a watering hole is sort of  silly...

both parties are to blame,
but me, as a judge, I'd fine you for breaking down the door to enter a strangers house...
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-11 22:24:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by MisterPanda at 2012-5-11 22:26
shameless Post time: 2012-5-11 21:47
sorry my friend,
doing it at a watering h ...

Well, I don't lie to my friends and if they ask me if I enjoy something I just tell them the truth. If they invite me to their home just so I tell them how wonderful it is even if it's not I prefer to stay alone.

I didn't even say Qingdao was bad, I just said I didn't enjoy it specifically. Ask me what I think of French beer, you might get surprised...
Also, it was a western bar and they were all drinking imported beer...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-11 22:25:59 |Display all floors
shameless Post time: 2012-5-11 21:47
sorry my friend,
doing it at a watering h ...

And if you feel it is normal to call someone names and want to start a fight with him because he doesn't think your beer is the best in the world, then yes I would say we have a big cultural misunderstanding...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-11 23:46:00 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cestmoi at 2012-5-11 23:47

And its darn near impossible for Chinese in USofA to make friends with USAnians, black or white.

They judge and measure by their own standard, such as it is and which generally involves how much money you have got and what's it worth to them.

That said, I found it easier to makes friends with Europeans. So it is not a race thing.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-12 00:05:32 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.