Author: haishiwo

Is it hard for expats to make Chinese friends?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-5-11 11:24:30 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-5-11 11:18
... if they think they can get something from you in return...

Panda, I don't think you are right. Chinese are shy and they don't know how to communicate with strainger, but at heart, we are friendly and warm-hearted.

In the US, you can see people smiling at each other in the street, but in China, when you do the same thing, people will think mybe you are  a bad man. It's cultural difference, it's not about right or wrong.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-5-11 11:38:51 |Display all floors
haishiwo Post time: 2012-5-11 11:24
Panda, I don't think you are right. Chinese are shy and they don't know how to communicate with st ...

I will admit I might be wrong, this is just my feeling. As I said, in 7 years in China I only have one true friend.

Our friend youneverknow points out we do not have the same interests ? Well, I am always looking forward to try new things but when I ask Chinese people to try things they're not used to they just don't want to do it. China is the only country in the world where I have seen people refusing to play football (soccer) even though they were extremely interested in it because "they don't know how" (how hard is it to hit a ball ?).

Truth is there is strictly no trust in our hearts (Chinese and foreigners) and that hurts our collective selves

However, in all fairness, foreigners in China are not any better and become friends mostly on what they can get from you.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-5-11 11:39:33 |Display all floors
haishiwo Post time: 2012-5-11 11:24
Panda, I don't think you are right. Chinese are shy and they don't know how to communicate with st ...
In the US, you can see people smiling at each other in the street, but in China, when you do the same thing, people will think mybe you are  a bad man. It's cultural difference, it's not about right or wrong.

My wife used to think it was weird for me to say thank you to the taxi driver when arriving at my destination
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-11 12:49:39 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-5-11 12:39
My wife used to think it was weird for me to say thank you to the taxi driver when arriving at m ...

hmm,
I still say so, after a while they got to know me and respond accordingly...
then again, Chinese are very smart people, looking at what's been, and still is going on, honestly, foreigners are much better people at their home country. Something to do that China is to free and forgiving when it comes to foreigners.

and I'm still married...
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-11 13:01:01 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-11 13:32:15 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-5-11 11:38
I will admit I might be wrong, this is just my feeling. As I said, in 7 years in China I only have ...

Traditional Han Chinese are not sports-lover,, . Actually, my friends, who are studying in US told me it's near impossible to make friends with American. They can't understand why Americans like to hang around in the bar. That may make sense, there are cultural gaps betwen East and West, which is  hard to cross. It's about how we are raised and taught since we are born.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-11 14:48:22 |Display all floors
I don't have many foreign friends, 1 Russian, 1 German, 1 Milawian and 1 Canadian, the rest of my freidns are Chinese.

Normally when I go out with friends, I will be the only foreigner.

I find it easy to make Chinese friends, but I think if I didn't speak some Chinese, it would be very difficult as most people here don't speak English.
Mr. Daniel Walsh (BEng/工学学士, MSc/理学硕士)

E-Mail/电子邮箱: daniel_hs_walsh@hotmail.com
LinkedIN Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/danielhswalsh

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.