seneca Post time: 2012-5-10 10:40
Chinese do not care about privacy, and this can rattle people sometimes:

My wife and I were ridin ...

Just sometimes and some ppl.
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-10 11:53:35 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-5-10 09:15
Its OK for a good ol boy to abuse a foreigner. He got his slap on the wrist. So let's eat, drink,  ...

Nope, again you appear to deliberately misunderstand my meaning. I'm on record as saying that such abuse is despicable. In which part of that do I say "I think all is good"?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-10 11:55:01 |Display all floors
greatlady Post time: 2012-5-10 10:29
Just sometimes and some ppl.

Actually, my friend, it's far more widespread than you think. I think Chinese folk may not notice it because, to them, it's normal.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-10 12:05:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by RealMadrid1 at 2012-5-10 12:06
seneca Post time: 2012-5-10 10:40
Chinese do not care about privacy, and this can rattle people sometimes:

My wife and I were ridin ...

But when you replied in Chinese did she look embarrassed?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-10 15:53:16 |Display all floors
I have had similar experiences in China as Seneca and to be honest it hurts. I know that my understanding of mandarin is severely limited and that in itself shames me. I would not comment on hearing a person's broken English and say something derogatory about them.
What really got on my goat was when I was in Adelaide and I overheard Chinese people talking about my wife in mandarin, on a table next to us, assuming that because she speaks English very well and does not have a face like a dinner plate that she was not Chinese.
Unfortunately for them she is Chinese and the resulting tirade from her in both Mandarin and English sent them packing with their faces as red as beetroot.

Its a really bad idea to insult people within earshot, no matter the language.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-10 18:28:50 |Display all floors
vorgal78 Post time: 2012-5-10 15:53
I have had similar experiences in China as Seneca and to be honest it hurts. I know that my understa ...

Had a similar experience in Hong Kong, my wife was within earshot of someone making comments about us (in Hakka) - she also "gently" reminded them that speaking about others is not polite - she is Chinese, speaks Hakka (her home dialect) very well, but does not appear to be Chinese, nor sounding like it when speaking English......

We still laugh about the beet-red colour of the two (apparently) wealthy middle-aged Hong Kong matrons.....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-11 01:17:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Chinoy at 2012-5-11 02:01

This isolated story should not be get generalized, because it's outcome is not same to all. This sounds discriminatory esp to those responsible American guys, who even sustain the needs of the wife's family abroad. Bars in America is a place where guys like to  hook up with girls for desires given for free unlike in other countries, you have to pay for it. Knowing the guy first very well is very essential starting from traits, life values, morals, background and reconciling cultural differences if any, not only for American guys but also among all guys in this world. Shu Ya seemed to be a strong woman in doing this but displaying herself in the airport may look little awkward. I wish she may found her true happiness that everyone deserves..

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.