Author: Transhumanism

Will China Absorb Taiwan, or Will Taiwan Absorb China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-5-1 11:37:57 |Display all floors
Congratulations.  

You don't know anything about either the West or about cultural relativism.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-1 11:48:50 |Display all floors
wetcoaster Post time: 2012-5-1 11:37
Congratulations.  

You don't know anything about either the West or about cultural relativism.

Which is why I said "as defined by me," to give acknowledgement to cultural relativism: values and ethics are subjective.
I am NOT Chinese, and I do NOT live in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-1 11:58:52 |Display all floors
...you forgot the second part of the relativists' argument: cultural values and ethics are subjective, and therefore cannot be judged.

Anyway, it doesn't matter.  I'm not here to champion the West's dignity, because frankly I don't care that much and am not sure how much it exists.  I just find it comical when somebody who is not familiar with it passes sweeping stereotypical judgements.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-1 12:25:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Transhumanism at 2012-5-1 12:26
wetcoaster Post time: 2012-5-1 11:58
...you forgot the second part of the relativists' argument: cultural values and ethics are subjectiv ...
...you forgot the second part of the relativists' argument: cultural values and ethics are subjective, and therefore cannot be judged.

That would be like saying the act of murder, rape, and armed robbery cannot be judged because moral values opposing these things are subjective.  But they can be judged according to relatively held beliefs of a society and individuals.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-1 13:28:58 |Display all floors
Cultural relativism is not the same as moral relativism.

But anyway.  I'm saying you making sweeping judgements about the West based on a handful of foreigners, biased Chinese media, and overly glorified Hollywood movies is borderline retarded.

If I told you China was a worse place because nobody stops to help dying babies (Xiao Yue Yue), gangs of youth beat pregnant women (Guang Zhou), and well respected soccer officials beat female reporters you'd probably think I was an ignorant ass.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-1 13:33:23 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Transhumanism at 2012-5-1 13:34
wetcoaster Post time: 2012-5-1 13:28
Cultural relativism is not the same as moral relativism.

But anyway.  I'm saying you making sweepin ...

I don't live in China, and I am not Chinese, nor am I white.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-5-1 13:35:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Transhumanism at 2012-5-1 13:37

Let the world know that I am NOT CHINESE, therefore, my controversial opinions don't represent or reflect the opinions of the Chinese people and/or China.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.