Author: goldengrove

Chinese students: (Australian) 'Robbers called us Asian dogs'   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-24 16:55:52 |Display all floors
correction Post time: 2012-4-24 16:27
This attackkk is no different,
both cases are clearly racist attackkk on Chinese people in KKKanga ...

You yourself said 'with some RACIST COMMENTS' !!!
Please don't shoot, I'm just a babe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-24 16:57:10 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2012-4-24 16:37
Possibly, but I've travelled on these trains frequently and recently. There are no crews. The on ...

Maybe it's the case: ticket inspectors were in fact not on the train. And I also understand why you made the case against calling the incident as a "racial attack."

But I doubt Chinese would care about whether it is racial. A Chinese who is studying in a foreign land was attacked in a train where people just looked on and did nothing -- a woman was actually reported to have shouted "Rob them, they are Chinese" (at least according to the Chinese media).

And all that, believe me, has already brought tons of abuse and resentment against Australians among the Chinese.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-24 17:15:54 |Display all floors
This post was edited by lebeast at 2012-4-24 19:19
goldengrove Post time: 2012-4-24 18:57
Maybe it's the case: ticket inspectors were in fact not on the train. And I also understand why yo ...
But I doubt Chinese would care about whether it is racial. A Chinese who is studying in a foreign land was attacked in a train where people just looked on and did nothing -- a woman was actually reported to have shouted "Rob them, they are Chinese" (at least according to the Chinese media).

And all that, believe me, has already brought tons of abuse and resentment against Australians among the Chinese.   

I can accept this viewpoint. However, Chinese in China need to understand one critical difference. There is nothing like Sydney or Melbourne in China. If China had a city with truly stupendous immigration, there would be some attacks, like this, with racial comments. Perhaps worse.

The important thing about this attack is that it is well publicised.

You need to also know that most of our taxis are driven by Chinese in Sydney. If there are attacks on them, they are not publicised, unlike the attacks on Indian taxi drivers in Melbourne.

There is likely to be an incidence of attacks on taxi drivers in both cities, like any big city. So why only did the Indian cases get reported?

I wonder if it is because in Melbourne, the drivers are students, like this attack on students in Sydney.

I even reviewed the assault and homicide rates and posted them here, when the attacks on Indians happened in Melbourne.

The assault and homicide rate for Indians was *lower* than for others.

I may review statistics for Sydney.

For chinese in China, they will only see the violence against their own and maybe this will blind them to the reality. There is violence everywhere. There is not much you can do about this kind of attack except increase public awareness. It seems to be working in Melbourne.

(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-24 17:32:34 |Display all floors
correction Post time: 2012-4-24 18:55
You yourself said 'with some RACIST COMMENTS' !!!

you are one of this forum's disgraces. You are very racist and immature. A baby with dark glasses suits your personality to a T
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-24 21:33:11 |Display all floors
I do not believe that there is cause for widespread alarm amongst Chinese students. There will of course be incidents of robbery in large cities. I am sometimes surprised that Chinese students are not targeted more by thugs. I am not condoning the attack by any means.
I teach Uni students here and I have often seen them on trains late at night, head phones on, iphone and laptop out, oblivious to the outside world. I'm afraid to say that to a dishonest thug they would appear like lambs tied to a post in front of hungry wolves.
Self preservation and common sense should be in the minds of the students. When I am in Beijing I would not flash a wad of money and then put it in my back pocket if I didn't want to be pick pocketed.
Luckily the perps have been apprehended by the authorities and the law will be followed appropriately. There will be no bribes to police to get them off the leash and the government will probably scramble to make a public amendment for the incident.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-25 08:58:08 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-25 11:26:33 |Display all floors
You idiot, Chinapatriot. Why add to the racist rubbish here?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.