Author: firstcause

Record number renounces US citizenship: IRS   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-17 21:12:33 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2012-4-17 22:37
I don't really see it as that strange.

If you are a US citizen, there are benefits that come with ...

I understand the point, JFenix, and it is certainly valid.
When Australians live and work abroad, they don't pay Australian tax, but still receive consular support, like you mention in relation to US citizens.

However, the flip side of the coin is that in the USA, and Australia, there are foreign citizens who legally live , work and pay tax in our countries who will not receive consular support from AU, US, etc, as they are foreign citizens.
I think the argument there is one of swings and roundabouts.

To me it seems like a form of double taxation (I realise that the US system is not full double taxation) and would appear to discourage US citizens from working abroad and retaining citizenship.

"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-4-17 21:25:28 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2012-4-17 20:54
You pay taxes for security first and foremost.

Taxes pay for not only national defense, but for p ...
Taxes pay for not only national defense, but for police, firemen, etc.  It pays for your public defenders in court (if you fit the income requirements).

National defense ? Maybe if the USA stopped attacking any country with oil the national defense costs wouldn't be so high...

Police and firemen, ok.

Public defenders ? That's if you're poor and, if you're poor, you do not pay taxes...

Taxes pay for all the infrastructure, roads, highways, primary education, etc.

Ok for infrastructures, but obviously the money that should go toward primary education should go elsewhere...

It pays for medical care for the needy and many other social programs.

Mwarf, the USA do not have social programs or medical care. It's just cosmetic...

If you don't want to contribute into the system, than why be a citizen?

First, nobody ever gave me the choice to be a citizen, I HAVE to be. Second, why would one contribute to a system in which he does not live anymore ? US citizens living in China pay their taxes in China (which is only fair), why should they have to pay additional taxes to the federal government ? Chinese citizen living in the US pay taxes in the US and not in China. Seems the US are getting money from all over the place.

Well, if you like being milked like a cow... In France we pay huge amount of taxes but at least we have a social security system to justify it...
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-17 21:30:24 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2012-4-17 21:05
I don't agree with dual nationality in the first place.
Chinese I was born, and Chinese I will alway ...

That's because as a Chinese you do not believe in Jus Solis (right of the soil) but believe instead in Jus Sanguinis (right of the blood).

My father is Portuguese, my mother is Spanish and I was born in France. Because of Jus Solis I have the french nationality. Because I feel more French than Portuguese or Spanish I see no point in taking up their nationality even if I could.

But my brother who lives in Portugal feels as Portuguese as he feels French and he has the two nationalities.

The real stupid stuff in the end is the concept of nationality. You mention you're Chinese but this is completly hasardous. You could have as well been born Japanese and hate China with all your guts.

That's why I don't believe in patriotism. I do not love a country because I was born there, I love a country for its values.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-17 21:33:05 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-17 21:37:04 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-17 21:38:26 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2012-4-17 21:34
Are you labelling me a 'racist'?

Jus Solis and Jus Sanguinis have strictly nothing to do with racism, it is how citizenship is passed.

When one follows Jus Sanguinis, one considers it doesn't matter where one was born, he keeps the nationality of his parents (example : China). With Jus Solis, one takes the nationality of the country he was born in (example : United States of America).

I know full well you are not racist as I am sure you would fook indiscriminately with any pretty girl on the planet

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-17 21:40:40 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-4-17 21:25
National defense ? Maybe if the USA stopped attacking any country with oil the national defense  ...

'Public defenders ? That's if you're poor and, if you're poor, you do not pay taxes...'

Right, and as a tax payer, I feel good about supporting this system.  Everyone has the right to have legal representation.  It's the corner-stone of american values.  I want my taxes going there.

'but obviously the money that should go toward primary education should go elsewhere'

How does that make sense?

'the USA do not have social programs or medical care. It's just cosmetic'

Put the crack pipe down MisterPanda....I have benefited from those social programs.  My mother is on Medicare, and my children are all receiving pell grants and assistance for college such as subsidized child care.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.