Views: 32923|Replies: 205

Democracy is a Good Thing   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-17 02:50:42 |Display all floors
D e m o c r a c y   i s  a  G o o d  T h i n g

Y u   K e p i n g,      Prizing the Will of the People

B y   D a v i d    B a n d u r s k i - Posted on   2 0 1 2 - 0 4 - 1 6

In  2 0 0 6  , one year before the  C h i n e s e   C o m m u n i s t   P a r t y ’ s   1 7 t h  C o n g r e s s ,  Y u  K e p i  n g , a political sc holar g enerally seen as part of    P resident    H u   J i n t a o ’ s    inner circle of theorists, leapt into China’s spotlight with a book called   D e m o c r a c y     i s    a   G o o d    T h i n g .  This week, in the wake of last week’s turbulent removal of   B o   X i l a i   -  and just six months from the crucial   1 8 t h   C o n g r e s s    -  Y u   K e p i n g   is in the spotlight again.

Last month,  Y u    K e p i n g  released a new book called   D e m o c r a t i c   G o v e r n a n c e   and    P o l i t i c a l   R e f o r m in China. The English-language title on the book’s jacket is in fact a partial translation of the Chinese title. The full title should read something like: Prizing the Will of the People:

Democratic Governance and Political Reform in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-17 02:51:26 |Display all floors
h ttp://c mp.hku.h k/2012/04/16/21469/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-17 03:00:01 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
   NEVER AGAIN  !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-17 03:01:11 |Display all floors
05.01.2012 16:45

Yu Keping was named in 2011 as one of the 100 most influencial global thinkers
Kategorie: General
Prof. Yu Keping was named as one of the 100 most influential global thinkers in 2011 by the renowned Journal Foreign Policy. Yu Keping is a frequent visitor at the Institute of East Asian Studies and the Faculty of Social Sciences who awarded him an honorary doctorate in May 2008. Foreign Policy highlighted his influence on Chinese politics as follows:

"One surprising advocate from inside the system is Yu Keping, a bureaucrat and head of the government-advising China Center for Comparative Politics and Economics, whom the New York Times has described as a "mild-mannered policy wonk" and a proponent of slow but steady change. His straightforwardly titled essay, "Democracy Is a Good Thing," insists that China can transition into a democracy that works for the Chinese. In a China Daily op-ed this summer titled "Reform Must Be Incremental," Yu wrote that though the go-slow approach has been on balance good for China, 'The country still lacks a mechanism to counter the selfish behavior of the bureaucracy, corruption is still rampant and public service rendered by the government is far from enough.'"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-17 03:03:24 |Display all floors
The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers

Foreign Policy presents a unique portrait of 2011's global marketplace of ideas and the thinkers who make them.

A nervous Beijing has cracked down viciously on dissidents this year, jailing dozens of lawyers and human rights supporters and placing scores under enforced supervision or house arrest. Yet among the many activists keeping hopes for reform alive, two stand out. One surprising advocate from inside the system is Yu Keping, a bureaucrat and head of the government-advising China Center for Comparative Politics and Economics, whom the New York Times has described as a "mild-mannered policy wonk" and a proponent of slow but steady change. His straightforwardly titled essay, "Democracy Is a Good Thing," insists that China can transition into a democracy that works for the Chinese. In a China Daily op-ed this summer titled "Reform Must Be Incremental," Yu wrote that though the go-slow approach has been on balance good for China, "The country still lacks a mechanism to counter the selfish behavior of the bureaucracy, corruption is still rampant and public service rendered by the government is far from enough."

He Weifang, meanwhile, is an outspoken critic of the Chinese legal system who was sent to internal exile in Xinjiang for signing the Charter 08 manifesto against the government in 2008 and then was told last year that he couldn't leave the country. For He, a Peking University law professor and longtime writer on judicial abuses who says he sees China growing more repressive over time, reform cannot come fast enough. And if the Communist Party doesn't adapt, he has warned, "then that process of transformation will not occur peacefully, and if the extreme violence comes, then there will be no Communist Party. It is a case of adapt or die." So will it be Yu's way or He's?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-17 03:03:55 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-17 03:05:13 |Display all floors
Yu Keping
CAPSULE REVIEW  MAY/JUNE  2009
Democracy Is a Good Thing: Essays on Politics, Society, and Culture in Contemporary China

Andrew J. Nathan

What do China's leaders mean when they say that the Chinese system is democratic and getting more so? To help answer this question, the influential John L. Thornton China Center at the Brookings Institution offers a translated set of key writings by Yu,
an adviser to Chinese President   H u   J i n t a o .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.