Author: lindasun0102

What's your opinion on Chinglish?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-12 13:56:39 |Display all floors
Teardropper Post time: 2012-4-12 12:06
China has the largest english speaking population in the world ,  Chinglish will change the way peop ...

Some Chinglish phrases or expressions may make their way into English vocabulary, and become English standard terms. But Chinglish has no future since the literal, word-for-word, translations from Chinese to English do nothing but make native English speakers confused.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-12 14:04:59 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-4-12 13:50
""But do you think some ungrammatical sentences or spellings can be accepted as standard English?"" ...

It is not learning a language, it's tarnishing the purity of language. As for communication, it is always difficult to communicate in Chinglish, which is based on and shares its core grammar and vocabulary with British English.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-4-12 14:14:55 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-4-12 06:21
The primary purpose of language is to communicate. If 'chinglish' helps people communicate then so m ...

I agree with you to a certain extent.

I once went to Singapore and was absolutely incapable of understanding the taxi driver there who was speaking singlish.

On another hand I went to Newcastle and was strictly incapable of understanding their accent either.

Language is a tool, agreed, but people should be using the same tool when they speak the same language. What's the point of someone speaking Chinglish if only chinglish speakers can understand him ? Then it becomes a whole new language.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-12 15:59:01 |Display all floors
Let the chinglish to be the official language of the world.

Use magic tools Report

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-4-12 17:08:43 |Display all floors
paddyhuang Post time: 2012-4-12 15:59
Let the chinglish to be the official language of the world.

Let's not forget that, besides the fact it has the most native speakers in the world, mandarin is not an international language such as English, French or Spanish.

Currently Spanish, Portuguese, English, and French are the languages that have the most growth relay (meaning it is present on many different continents and the total native speaker population, as well as secondary speakers, is improving greatly every year). Therefore, why should we favor Chinglish or Spanglish ?

Let the language evolve by itself, after all english is a very much alive language and has never been shy to include foreign words inside its vocabulary.

Speaking Chinglish because it's easier is lazy.
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-4-12 17:20:16 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-4-12 14:14
I agree with you to a certain extent.

I once went to Singapore and was absolutely incapable of un ...

Then welcome to the Chinglish era.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2012-4-12 17:22:22 |Display all floors
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-4-12 17:08
Let's not forget that, besides the fact it has the most native speakers in the world, mandarin is  ...

I wish mandarin would become international language in the near future. Then we would not bother learning English.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.