Author: desperado123

Will China strike Philippines as an alert to others   [Copy link] 中文

June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2012-4-11 17:54:31 |Display all floors
Seriously, who could ever imagine that an island closer to the Philippines than it is to China would belong to the Philippines ? OF COURSE it belongs to China !
Spreading magic around the world since 2007.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-11 18:07:55 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SMITHI at 2012-4-11 18:10
MisterPanda Post time: 2012-4-11 17:54
Seriously, who could ever imagine that an island closer to the Philippines than it is to China would ...

Guantanamo is closer to USA than Cuba you saying?
Malvinas closer to UK than Argentina you saying?
moron

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-11 18:11:18 |Display all floors
SMITHI Post time: 2012-4-11 18:07
Guantanamo is closer to USA than Cuba you saying?
moron

I did write in the Guantanamo post that I believe Guantanamo belongs to Cuba. There is a different between leasing a land (even through some legal loopholes) and claiming a land as yours.

Also, I let the first moron go, please do not resort to this insult too often, it really reflects bad on you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-11 18:15:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by MisterPanda at 2012-4-11 18:18
Kbay Post time: 2012-4-11 18:13
The Falklands are also closer to Argintina than the UK.

And are, in my opinion, a remnant of colonization belonging to Argentina. However, in the case of the Falklands, the people expressed the will to remain inside the United Kingdom and I believe we should respect the will of the people.
In the case of the Spratleys, they have never been colonized (in the purest sense of the term, meaning no one ever settled there) so we can't really ask the native population to choose, therefore geography should prevail.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-11 18:22:58 |Display all floors
So why then China did not invade Hongkong or Macao many years ago, because ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-11 18:27:19 |Display all floors
This post was edited by MisterPanda at 2012-4-11 18:27
Kbay Post time: 2012-4-11 18:15
The Diego Garcia Island is nowhere near the UK or mainland USA is it?

Ok, let me make things clear once and for all. I believe in geography and territorial continuity. I also believe in History and international right.

For geographical reason, I believe Gibraltar should belong to Spain. Ceuta and Melilla should belong to Morocco. Mayotte should belong to the Comoros (talk about pettiness by the French government when they kept this island), Jersey and Guernsey should go back to France, etc...

However, there are also the right of people to take into consideration. The people of Gibraltar does not want to go back to Spain, the people of Ceuta and Melilla don't want to belong to Mexico. The people of Martinique, Guadalupe and French Guyana do not want to be independant (we did several referendums, they always rejected independance) and the international court ruled in favour of the UK in the case of Jersey and Guernsey.

Then there are the uninhabited islands or islets. First country that claimed them has priority by international law. In my opinion, if these islands are out of any exclusive economic zone, then it doesn't hurt anyone who the hell owns them.

But sovereignty laws are really tough and, unlike some on this forum, I do not pretend to be an expert in it. I merely give my opinion as mine, not as right.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-11 18:28:45 |Display all floors
Kbay Post time: 2012-4-11 18:21
The only people in the Spratley Islands are Chinese, you dumb Panda.
The first Chinese sailors ...

There's a difference between stopping somewhere and actually owning something. There is no record of ANY settlement on the Spratleys.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.