Author: YoYo66

Top 20 places to retire abroad   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-6-12 16:38:34 |Display all floors
Switzerland, according to CNBC, only allows foreigners to buy real estate in certain areas.

That is only partly correct - there are areas (I think it's even the majority) where you can't buy real estate as a foreigner unless you buy it to live there (Lex Koller from 1983). So if you plan to retire in Switzerland, you also plan to live there - which means you can buy real estate anywhere in the country, just like natives, and don't have to adhere to the limitations under the Lex Koller.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-12 18:18:20 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2012-6-12 13:41
And best of all places to retire... CHINA!!!

Only people with yellow fever retire in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-12 19:05:52 |Display all floors
Hahahahaha CHINA
Maybe in 1994 when the exchange rate was 8.7 RMB to 1 USD.
But certainly not now.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-12 21:23:16 |Display all floors
The legal situation in Switzerland is terribly opaque and open to corrupt practices and abuse of power

Do you have any sources for this? According to transparency international, Switzerland, Singapore, New Zealand and the scandinavian countries are the least corrupt nations in the world... so I can't really relate to what you are saying.

Switzerland is not an ideal place to retire to for foreigners because you pay property tax every year and another tax on your pension.

Yet these taxes are very low - there are lots of people going there for this very reason. However, I'd also prefer going to the US for retirement, as I prefer warmer weather and would pay the higher taxes there^^

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2012-6-13 11:16:04 |Display all floors
grb Post time: 2012-6-12 02:18
Only people with yellow fever retire in China.

You're becoming as childish as revolutionar.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-13 11:51:47 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2012-6-12 14:16
Exchange rates dont stand still to state the obvious.  A lot of retired Brits relocated to Spain b ...

In that case, RETIREMENT to either BRITISH linked states like AUSTRALIA, South Africa with low Real Estate cost.......

....or BRITISH Commonwealth states with COST OF LIVING between 1/2 or 1/4 of the UK!

The language, common laws, systems will be "familiar" to the retirees!
Better still, they can either be FULLY RETIRED, or carry on with INVESTMENT BIZ, some kind of business.
The PENSION, rents from the ENGLAND will more than pay for a great lifestyles in such an enviroment!

cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Grandmaster
What's that? A Crisis?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-6-13 13:13:49 |Display all floors
greendragon Post time: 2012-6-13 11:51
In that case, RETIREMENT to either BRITISH linked states like AUSTRALIA, South Africa with low Rea ...

Australia is a popular choice for Brits but iusually working, younger Brits not retirees.  Its too far away.

The standard of living/pay is higher there.
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.