Author: UYA

Chinese Americans...give us some credit   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-3-13 22:24:55 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2012-3-12 09:30

Very appropriate picture!

And to answer pirate's question: what are they good for?

In-arguably, black musicians have had the largest impact in shaping the music industry in the US in the twentieth century.
It's amazing how many rock songs are actually covers from old blues & folk music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6yCEsDsGx4

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-13 22:45:09 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2012-3-13 22:04
He had dual citizenship.

His parents came to the US for his birth and afterwards they went back t ...

Thank you JFenix

I also got the info from google, born in San Francisco and raised in Hong Kong, Thank you

What confused me is the OP UYA, when he post a thread sometimes he forgot his nationality, in another thread he said he's "American", sometimes he post as Chinese, my confusion came when he said in post # 1  "We also gave you Bruce Lee".

Pity this guy
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-13 22:52:11 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2012-3-13 22:45
Thank you JFenix

I also got the info from google, born in San Francisco and raised in Hong Kong,  ...

Well he is chinese-american.  You can be both.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-13 23:15:37 |Display all floors
Many workers had to be recruited to build the railroads in every continent. Chinese workers in Western US, Chinese workers in Canadian Pacific Railroad, Chinese workers in Mexico, Indians workers in East Africa, Irish workers in South Africa, Hindus and Chinese workers in Uganda, Russian workers to build the Trans Siberian Railroad, etc. Also many Chinese workers arrived to South America in middle and late of nineteenth century.

Most of these people left the poverty in their own lands to find a better future and earn some money to work in different countries building railroads, working in the fields, in industries, etc.
It’s important to mention the migration to different countries brought benefits for both sides, all immigrations made a great contributions to develop a social progress, culture enrichment and with the time better understanding between people.

If for the OP is time to say “thank you” to Chinese workers, I suggest you not to be too selective, the immigrations records shows millions of departures and arrivals to different countries in nineteenth and twentieth centuries, most of them Europeans, Hindus and Chinese. Africans migrants at that time showed as a slave trading.

I don’t get the real reason of the OP in this thread. Contributions from migrants from different cultures from anywhere in this world are appreciated. All countries (as we know all countries have immigrants) should thank to their immigrants?
The OP is suggesting the creation of an International Thanksgiving Day?

If is about to thank, lets see, China is a worldwide leader, thanks to an enormous foreign investments and Chinese people who really work hard who in many areas get low wages for the benefit of their employers pockets, consequently make the domestic and foreign trade more successfully to put this country in the situation as rich and powerful. It’s time to thanks to whom?

If this thread is about to thank for any contribution, I will start thanking to CD for let me post here.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-3-14 01:24:02 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2012-3-13 21:16
Those railroads meant genocide to the native american.  It sealed their fate - the americans could t ...

Hawaiians met the same fate. Native Indians were doomed ever since the anglo's set foot in America. The railroad just speed-ed up the process.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-14 01:30:19 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2012-3-13 23:15
Many workers had to be recruited to build the railroads in every continent. Chinese workers in Weste ...

Just "tooting" the Chinese horn in the forum.

America was built by immigrants.

Proud to play a part in its history

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-3-14 01:31:43 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2012-3-13 22:52
Well he is chinese-american.  You can be both.

Wasn't he also half white?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.