Author: jiangqihui

Alternative Music Scene [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-1-5 05:12:05 |Display all floors

Punk

True,

A few years ago I transfered the early Brain Failiure demos from tape to cd and they certainly have their own sound. Definitely punk !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-6 06:36:27 |Display all floors

Brain failure & hang on the box

re: Brain Failure, i love thier dynamic collapse ( thats the only way i can discribe thier particular distorted guitar ). It only needs a slight tweaking to get it right for the USA market.............but thats money.
My friends in The USA and Japan loved the Brain failure an hang on the box tours, only Critic was maybe they need refinement..........

but, could refinement mean loss of originality?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-12 16:50:36 |Display all floors

more and more, hope this post doesn't get vaporized

I don't  like brainfailure, sounds like chumbawamba commercial bullshit at least their recent stuff. They are just famous coz they toured around in the US (one of the few, maybe 3, Chinese Punk bands). That's it, from what I've heard they were different years ago, now they could play bad folk style cover versions of the Ramones in Irish pubs. Definetely better are: THE BELIEVERS, for me the best Chinese Punk band.
OK bands are G.O.I. (Greatest of Ice-Cream) and tookoo (all from Beijing)

www.tookooband.com

Another one is Swamp from Guangzhou, they experiment a lot with electronic sounds, wouldn't suprise me if they mark the beginning of Chinese trip hop. I lost their URL, gonna post it later.

For Chengdu, uh, there're tonz of bands, there are Proximity butterfly (2 foreigners, 2 chinese), as I would say the most intimite band, very orgiastic, they take their time to build up the songs. Ya'Could call it psychodelic rock (kind of Doors' style).
The 2 most famous Chengdu bands are Ashura and Soundtoy, but they are POP (altough they could do the POGO), so let's drop them.
There are 2 Metal bands worth mention THOR and Hanged. The first one is the general of the scene a Marilyn Manson, nice and addicted to his music, using music just as a weapon to fight XXXXXXXXX. And Hanged, also metal but no singing just pig noise (I think their idea is: well we can't speak out what we think unless we want 2 get into trouble so let's just make a pervert noise).
And than there are dozens of other bands like Idolum of Eddy (cross over), and the rest splits up any other day.

My last post (and not only my last one!!!) didn't appear, so the thread is at the buttom line, let's push it to the top again.

PEACE FROM CHENGDU

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-19 18:56:26 |Display all floors

Elektronic Music

Check out the 2004 album of "Wang Lei" of all the stuff I now the most promising in terms of Chinese electronic music (he's living in Guangzhou and has been a Rock Star before)...
Anybody out there who knows Panda Twins???

Greetings from Chengdu

www.platypusmusic.cn

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-26 17:35:30 |Display all floors

Kunming, Dali, Lijiang

Any good parties in Kunming, Dali, Lijiang in the next 2, 3 weeks (no mainstream crapp)? Any good bars? Please let me know.

peace

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-3 11:58:34 |Display all floors

chengdu

Well next time I get you some information about Kunming's scene this time I just want to inform of the following event

COMIC ART + DRUM'N'BASS in CHENGDU, CHINA

GRAPHIC DIALECT

CONTEMPORARY ILLUSTRATION
PRINTS OF 5 ARTISTS FROM GERMANY&ITALY

TAIYANGTAI BAR
March 4th - 15th
everyday from 8 pm
# 26 2nd Ring Rd South Sect.
Er Huan Lu Nan San Duan #26
Tel. 85177999
pascal@butterbiene.de

OPENING PARTY
4th March 8 pm
ELECTRONIC LOUNGE w DJ JOE
DRUM’N’BASS + Experim. Music

ZHONGWEN>>>

GRAPHIC DIALECT

现代插画

五个德国和意大利艺术家

太阳台酒吧
二环路南三段26号
2005年3月4号到15号每天8点开始
电话 85177999

插画音乐PARTY
3月4号
8点开始
电子音乐+DJ JOE
Drum'n'Bass + 实验电子

Check out

www.platypusmusic.cn

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-3 12:31:24 |Display all floors

"chumbawamba commercial" i like, but music is never "bullshit"

allthough quite a funny name that brough a smile to my face...........no music is bullshit..
Its natural evolution as the band ( such as Brain Failure ) learns to combine what it does well and retains, then gains a large dedicated following.
If bands or musicians persist...........and people become aware and appreciate thus, then it is unfair to award them such negative title.

Personally, I prefer Hang on the box.

Their sound is very much liked by the English/Australian and newzealand scene
Their only obstacle, is promotion and money.

China has such a wealth of variety in alternative music
it ALL, has an energy that is very much sought by many around the world.

Caocaodao, a name you mentioned grabbed my attention immediately, "anda twins"................tell us more.

also, have you thought about getting involved with music promotion?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.