Author: jiangqihui

Alternative Music Scene [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-11-2 12:06:07 |Display all floors

I like the F.I.R band.

I like the F.I.R   band. their songs are various in style and a little wild.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-6 05:33:07 |Display all floors

For chongqing dial

www.soundsmakers.com (they spell it sounds-makers, I like sound sound-smackers better).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-8 17:26:39 |Display all floors

Asian music sucks

I'm sorry, but Asian music sucks. It's mostly just pop. And the rock sucks compared to what I grew up with in the US. I mean, c'mon, Rock music was invented in the US (or possibly England).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-9 21:16:48 |Display all floors

That's overstating the case, IMO.

To say that all Asian music sucks and only US music is worth anything is certainly wrong and a sure sign of your American arrogance. Even assuming you're just talking about popular/rock music, there are certainly lots of talented Asian artists, be it in China or Taiwan, etc. The above mentioned Faye Wang is a good example for such talent. She has successfully integrated western (mostly British alternative) sounds into her music which is an original blend of Chinese and Western styles.

I agree, however, that much (probably the large majority) of Mandarin pop-music is quite forgettable and boring. It is no different in the West, btw. Only very few artists in the US seem to make high quality music. Probably 90% of what is pop music in the US (talk about Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, etc.) is also forgettable and boring. There has always been much better musical talent coming out of Britain, though.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-11 17:24:23 |Display all floors

my favorite music

i  like the music of Lene Marlin . i hope that you try to listen .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-11 18:51:48 |Display all floors

You misinterpret me

When I say it sucks in general it is because the most prevalent music there is pop music.  Yes, I do have great fondness for traditional chinese music and the sort, and I'm kinda lumping all asian pop, europop, and american pop into the same category.

My two favorite bands are actually British: The Beatles and Queen. However, when it comes to musical innovation, in the 20th century at least, it has been mostly in the US. Think about it. The US was pretty settled in their ways by the early 1900's so people of leisure begin working on the arts. While most of the world was in some sort of the turmoil or in the process of setting up stable forms of government the US was producing groups like the Temptations, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Franki Valli and the Four Seasons.

Also, Rock is DISTINCTIVELY Western. (I've taken plenty of music history courses) The Beatles, Rolling stones, Led Zeppelin, etc all came over and revolutionized modern rock in the US.  All the Asian rock I've heard is pretty bad, because it seems like they're not doing anything new!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-27 00:51:43 |Display all floors

China's biggest indie label

They're based in Beijing:

www.modernsky.com

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.