Author: timbatu

Gary Locke Accuses China of Bad Human Rights   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-19 14:25:17 |Display all floors
Bombarding the forum with stupidity? I think that would be seneca instead.
Put out your right arm, hold back your left arm... <(=^.^=);

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-19 19:02:16 |Display all floors
Firstly, Chinese who left China for the USA on various reasons are related to timing of events of conflicts within like those civil wars in China between old_CKS_KMT and CPC; and hence many of those Chinese abroad stuck therein were the outcomes of the frantic exodus out of Taiwan island, Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China.

Secondly, in support of the old_CKS_KMT, clandestine groups splintered into units attempting to return to the mainland for whatever reasons are also stuck abroad. Then, you would have noticed, if you are residing abroad, those unfaithful and disloyal mainlanders (officials and children) who were sent abroad to study the English lingo but did not go home.

Thank you for replying and your insight on this.

I never knew there were groups trying to get back to china.  Interesting.  

My one old friend, as I said, his parents & family fled during the cultural revolution.

His parents were children then.  But they did pass on stories that made my friend have mixed feelings about china.

Love of country is one thing, but love for your mom is another.  And if she tells you stories where she was scared, well...who doesn't feel protective of mothers?

He didn't hate china, that's for sure.  But anytime we would talk politics he would bring back up those stories.

These families that fled, they never saw things get better.  So they are still kind of stuck kind of in time with the image they have of china.

I wouldn't underestimate either the effect of this on the american public.  Just like with the cold war, if the only people you talk to were very unhappy dissenters, well...you're view is going to be skewed.  You're going to think that everyone feels that way and has similar experiences.

So, I think that has to be taken into account.

Thanks again for your reply.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-19 20:16:15 |Display all floors
This post was edited by aa@edward at 2012-1-19 20:20
JFenix Post time: 2012-1-19 19:02
Thank you for replying and your insight on this.

I never knew there were groups trying to get bac ...
  1. He didn't hate china, that's for sure.  But anytime we would talk politics he would bring back up those stories.

2. These families that fled, they never saw things get better.  So they are still kind of stuck kind of in time with the image they have of china.
Copy code
JF.., well done on the frank discussions! Probably hundreds of thousands if not millions off the record had returned ages ago after they fled due to unbearable discriminative treatments in their chosen destinations that they wished to call "home".  Hence, in China there are such names as "OCT: Overseas Chinese Towns" which were favoured by CPC to keep it going THOUGH this special entitlement "OCT" has appeared to have gone astray and slightly off course; thus losing its meaningful lustres. That is, who are benefitting from its lustrous entitlements now? It’s almost a complete failure of its initial inceptions is just my observation!

Yes, indeed, love of mom and a country is entirely two different cans of fish; but both can co-exist altogether. However, when old mums and dads are dead and long gone stories, there will only be the country left for it shall not die other than wives, children and relatives, if any. In other words, people can’t be dead woods all their lives, they have to be this and not that in limbo, let them be!

What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-19 20:22:15 |Display all floors
Probably hundreds of thousands if not millions off the record had returned ages ago after they fled due to unbearable discriminative treatments in their chosen destinations to call "home".  Hence, in China there are such names as "OCT: Overseas Chinese Towns" which were favoured by CPC to keep it going THOUGH this special entitlement "OCT" has appeared to have gone astray and slightly off course; thus losing its meaningful lustres. That is, who are benefitting from its lustrous entitlements now? It’s almost a complete failure of its initial inceptions is just my observation!

Interesting.  About what time period were all these people returning?

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-19 20:32:37 |Display all floors
Human rights in China and the West - an old pain.

I believe it is rather unfair to compare western countries with China in terms of human rights. China is far less developed - socially, politically and economically - so that it would be close to impossible to introduce a human rights frame work like, for instance, the ECHR. Western politicians like to compare China with their homelands to show how much better they are and claim that they will stop their countries from abolishing human rights by introducing protectionist measures.

However, if you go and compare the human rights situation of China with countries on a similar development level - such as the Congo, Ecuador, Egypt, Iraq, Angola, Algeria or Namibia - you will find that China is much better off.
Therefore, I don't consider the lack of human rights as a major problem of China - it's much more an excuse by western politicians to increase their own power. China should focus on setting up a better legal system, on fighting corruption and on giving people more money first - human rights will come along with improvements in those sectors naturally.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-19 20:46:42 |Display all floors
eh, most of these foriegn "china experts" have no idea whats going on and look at everything from a western perspective.
Serve the Emperor!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-19 22:37:01 |Display all floors
Seneca, the king of not making sense and jumping to wild conclusions.

I didn't say all experts are wrong or even experts from other fields, im referring to a special group of experts who are not from China are pretend to understand what is going on in China even though they dont have the faintest clue.

But really, was your comment even necessary? Its poor form and not befitting someone of your claimed intellectual caliber.

Serve the Emperor!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.