Author: freetofly

What your opinion about Chinglish?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-12 23:39:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by NE_Tigress at 2012-1-12 23:44
seneca Post time: 2012-1-11 09:25
"Competition of language...competition of culture(s)... 'surpass foreigners by learning from them" ...

1. I have learnt several languages but have never had half as much time to learn a single one as Chinese devote to learning English, and even so I am proficient at a multiplicity of languages. That's not because I lived in the countries where these languages are natively spoken. And it's not the case that I am specially gifted for languages. It is how I was taught some basics, then had to grope my way forward on my own.
Copy code
You have lived in China for more than 10 years and have married twice (with Chinese women). How many complete Chinese sentences can you speak now ? Mind to tell us?

You once said there is a "Chang'an Dalu" in Beijing. Can you enlighten me, where is "Chang'an Dalu"?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-13 10:31:53 |Display all floors
longzhou Post time: 2012-1-11 08:32
I agree partly to your statement.

1) A language teacher should be qualified in the field she or h ...

I agree with you. As for the English teacher being fired....obviously he/she didn't pay attention the contract.
As for Chinglish; it certainly is unique. It has that in it's favour. Going against it is the fact that foreigners aren't in China to teach Chinglish and, that it gave me a helluva headache when I was teaching. I'm, as yet, unaware of a Chinglish exam for the students, so, with respect, English must prevail until there is.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-13 14:30:43 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-1-13 11:55
About the Chinese sensitivity to how others speak their language:

the many loan words found in the English and Chinese spoken here.

so sorry lad,
actually it's the other way round
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-13 17:20:25 |Display all floors
"to its external origin:

which would be????"

Japanese outnumbers Chinese loanwords

for crying out loud, every dummy is aware that Japanese originates from China--No!!!

otherwise- Chinese had to originate from Japan---
surely ya are not implying this now
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-13 22:05:20 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-1-13 09:19
Ah, my Chinese... what chance do I stand of having you give me the thumbs-up?  Just a polite but ...

You are an expert at making up stories

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-14 11:25:15 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-1-14 07:42
It is sarcasms such as this one that put a serious doubt in my mind as to whether you are a "Chine ...

“I can safely say I acquired Mandarin on my own quite successfully. I learnt in my first one year and a half at least as much as Chinese students learn English in 8 years. I did this without the help of teachers.”

Of course you can safely say it. You can speak Mandarin quite successfully, but you can’t read and write. There is no way to prove what you said is true or not since this is a forum and we can’t even see each other. Furthermore, you acquired Mandarin on your own without the help of teachers. I am wondering, without a Chinese’s help, how do you know your pronunciation is right or wrong?  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-14 11:26:02 |Display all floors
I have mentioned I have lost my interest in debating with you. I mean it. When you posted your experience in Chinese teachers, I realized that there is no way we can have meaningful communication and debate because you can easily make up stories and I can’t prove it is a fake simply because it’s your own story.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.