Author: freetofly

What your opinion about Chinglish?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-12 06:12:05 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ronny at 2012-1-12 08:12
freetofly Post time: 2012-1-12 00:10
Since you are so sure that you know Chinese teachers better than me, I started to doubt myself.

I ...

I did not intend to say all Chinese teachers, but, from my unofficial and unintentional polling, there seems to be many that do teach English badly and many that harshly criticise for mistakes, others that prefer helping the students that are doing well, but not so much the ones in need of help. Some of the dialogues given to students contain poor English,  poorly chosen words especially adjectives, and even poor grammar. I realise that practise with native speakers is not so easy to do, or do regularly, and I always suggest students to watch English movies, British or American( one movie can be watched until you understand every word spoken, and comprehend every situation), read novels( this is incredibly helpful), listen to music, the news etc etc, in other words, saturate yourself in English where ever possible.
By this I do not criticise all teachers or all schools.
My suggestion would be to standardise the English curriculum, teaching British English, with an inclusion of the American dialect. Advanced students could even have accent training if they wanted to specialize, though I find good English spoken with a Chinese accent easier on my ear than listening to a broad Australian accent or american accent. but the choice is and should be the students.
Again I state that I cannot talk for every school or every student, but the problems do exist, and no, I don't think it is just China, but we are after all speaking about China here, thus my comments about China.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-12 06:43:09 |Display all floors
freetofly Post time: 2012-1-9 06:51
When we speak English, many kind English-speakers encourage us.
While there always other ones who ke ...

I agree. Chinese or other  traditional Asians are more polite or more forgiving to foreigners who speak less than perfect. Western people who are native English go to Asian countries expect them to speak English, but make fun of them they speak broken English. I am an American, but I am Asian Americans who our elders taught us to tolerate other  peoples'  language imperfection. I never make fun of people speak imperfect Hmong, which is my native tougue.

I took some mandarin back in college and some Chinese praise me on how good I am, when I know I am not that good. It is just a different culture thing.
I am an Asian American. I came to Chinadaily forum hoping to share my experience, knowledge, and my point of view. And in return I want to get the same in return from friends from around the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-12 14:09:05 |Display all floors
Ronny Post time: 2012-1-12 06:12
I did not intend to say all Chinese teachers, but, from my unofficial and unintentional polling, th ...

Fair enough, thanks!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-12 14:16:43 |Display all floors
Hmoonhistorian Post time: 2012-1-12 06:43
I agree. Chinese or other  traditional Asians are more polite or more forgiving to foreigners who  ...

You have a nice personality and your native language Hmong is special.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-12 14:27:24 |Display all floors
expatter Post time: 2012-1-11 22:49
By the look of it he has a one day holiday ........

I look forward to his return ........

Thank you. Congratulations for winning the most valuable nomination

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-12 14:43:11 |Display all floors
freetofly Post time: 2012-1-12 16:09
Fair enough, thanks!

welcome
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-12 23:09:53 |Display all floors
freetofly Post time: 2012-1-11 22:08
What you said is a problem indeed.

In the past, it was easy for a foreigner to find a teacher’s  ...

Love affairs hardly to be prohibited in Universities.

One of classmates who married to a Canadian teacher,she even did not finish her school year.

one of my English teachers who married with an American teacher.

LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.