Author: aki1

the reality of bailed the prisoner's life in the United States [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2011-12-16 10:46:11 |Display all floors
In America we call these people "white trash" or "trailer trash"

Now let's use it in a sentence.

How do Republicans get trailer trash to vote for them since they are the party of the rich?
With corny red neck talk shows on radio and TV.

See, you just learned another American term, 'red neck'.
Sometimes red necks are trailer trash if they are poor enough.
A red neck with money is called a Republican.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-18 00:26:31 |Display all floors
At least China doesn't have nearly as bad a drug abuse problem
as we do in the US. This guy is on probation and is still snorting drugs

I'm not sure about this. I know the issue is quite severe in the US, but I was also astonished by how many poor Chinese suffer from drug abuse and alcoholism, so I don't know where it is worse - and there are no reliable statistics about the situation in China. We should also keep in mind that half of the population of China are farmers, while only a small fraction of the US population are "white trash", which also influences the social impact of those issues.

However, there is one major diffrence between white Trash and Chinese farmers: As a child of a "white trash" couple, you're probably going to die as a "white trash" guy yourself,  while rural Chinese children can study hard, work hard and become millionaires - Chinese society has now a much higher permeability than the American one and social permeability has always been a key feature of an economically successful society. So perhaps those "red necks" aren't that wrong to elect republicans if repulicans stand for more freedom (which they certainly don't always do) because freedom increases social permeability and thereby amelirates their situation - or at least their children's.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2011-12-19 07:39:31 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2011-12-17 08:26
I'm not sure about this. I know the issue is quite severe in the US, but I was also astonished by  ...

You're totally wrong if you think the poor Chinese have as bad a drug problem as the US poor.
I noticed how you danced around this preposterous assumption.
After that you danced in circles trying to promote conservatives as the best bet for the poor.
You might find a job in the US as part of the right wing propaganda machine.
You promote that carrot on a stick thing pretty good.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-19 15:46:36 |Display all floors
You're totally wrong if you think the poor Chinese have as bad a drug problem as the US poor.

I just know what I saw when I was living on Chinese countryside myself. But I of course only saw a small fraction of Chinese countryside (as you probably did too) so I think it is totally wrong to say that either of us knows the whole truth. China is as big as Europe and in spite of having grown up in Europe, I would never claim to know whole Europe. I wouldn't even claim to know 10 percent.

Having diffrent experiences doesn't have anything to do about being left-wing or right-wing. We're writing here in this forum to share experiences, not to ignore them.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.