Author: travellinglight

[US] Bubble of American Dream broke:Have-nots in the U.S.   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-12-17 01:35:45 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2011-12-1 00:43
Unregulated capitalism concentrates more and more wealth to fewer and fewer people over time.
Its bo ...

There must be certain criteria to define poverty. In the U.S., a family of four whose annual income is below $21,954 or an individual whose annual income is below $10,959 is considered to be living below the national poverty line. Back in China, the national poverty line is 785 RMB per capita. Please notice that $1 is equal to 6.72 RMB, so $21,954 can be converted into some 140,000 RMB. That means the annual income of an American pauper is 180 times as much as their Chinese counterparts! The gap would be even greater if not for the fact that the Yuan has been pushed up recently.

According to a report released by the World Bank last April, the national poverty line set by the Chinese government is far below the international standard. The poverty line recommended by the World Bank is $1.50 per capita daily; however, an annual income of 785 RMB only amounts to 2.15 RMB per capita daily [$0.32]. China still has 254 million people living below the international poverty line. That is, undoubtedly, far above the 15 million rural poor estimated by the Chinese government.

Furthermore, TV sets and air conditioners and perhaps one or two old cars have found their way into the homes of the American poor. This kind of life is affordable for a family with an annual income of some $20,000. In America, obesity might be associated with poverty because the poor people there never have to worry about where their next meal will come from; what they do need to care about is the amount of fat and sugar they take in — they consider it to be more economical to be couch potatoes than to send their money to gym owners.

The poor people in China, however, can be described as “empty nesters” who are suffering from extreme poverty. In some poverty stricken areas, growing children often suffer from hunger; a meal with pickles and plain rice would be a treat for them. A few years ago, some volunteers organized a trip for a group of poor children living in the mountains to visit Tiananmen Square. There was a girl in the group who, for the first time in her life, had a taste of meat during the trip. Isn’t that enough to drive anyone to tears?

The fact is that there exists a huge gap between the American poor and the Chinese one; it would be absurd even to mention the idea of comparing the two groups since they are not standing at the same starting line. To put it bluntly, the American poor live a far better life than the “ant tribes” in Beijing and in Shanghai. Those who claim that China has fewer poor people than the U.S. is either ignorant or spiteful. As Premier Wen once said: “I have always encouraged journalists to visit China’s rural areas and China’s central and western regions. I believe if you visit those places, you will understand for yourselves that the development in Shangai and Beijing can in no way represent the entire situation in China...”
It doesn’t matter what you do, or who you are, or where you live; there are no boundaries if two pe ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-19 22:23:47 |Display all floors
And yank government still spend lavish military adventure worldwide.

I really wonder what those military-industrial bandits thinking.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-19 22:57:39 |Display all floors
According to a report released by the World Bank last April, the national poverty line set by the Chinese government is far below the international standard. The poverty line recommended by the World Bank is $1.50 per capita daily; however, an annual income of 785 RMB only amounts to 2.15 RMB per capita daily [$0.32]. China still has 254 million people living below the international poverty line. That is, undoubtedly, far above the 15 million rural poor estimated by the Chinese government.

The fact that the situation is worse in China or in other developing countries does not justify ignoring the problems we have in the west.

Poverty is not about what you have or you have not. In 200 years, we all will be considered living increadibly poor and hard lives today.

Poverty is much more a state of mind. You feel poor because you are at the bottom of society. You can't ease that notion with money and things. So what America is lacking would be the opportunity to get up once you're down - to become a millionaire after being a dishwasher. America needs to loosen its laws on enterpreneurs, so that a poor American, like a poor Chinese, can open a small restaurant and become successful. But nowadays, selling a hot dog already requires huge amounts of investments, knowledge, certificates and paper work.
The USA should become more American again - it shouldn't be up to China to teach the West western values again.

I'd rather be a poor person in China than in America. Because in China, I'd still have the chance to escape poverty. I'd still have hope to raise to society's top.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-20 03:22:01 |Display all floors
Everynowhere Post time: 2012-12-19 22:57
The fact that the situation is worse in China or in other developing countries does not justify ig ...

US-Top Rich still come hugely from immigrants, so building up their wealth with little own original wealth.
while in china, you need to be so lucky not to fall into dependency to the mercy of chenguan and other thugs, building up your independent existence as a poor.
And in china you need to raise investment capital from loan sharks, as bank funds go to SOEs,
while the US is still the top Capital market.

Relative poverty is bound to always exist, as it is relative to an average of society.
It can show itself in completely other than material regards.
E.g. somebody living on student-aid may find himself much less in need in his view, and much more content with his situation,
than somebody claiming social benefit.
The student may make do with much less money, but he expects a better future.
And a student is more equally accepted in a society of socially heterogenous other students.

您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-7 14:13:12 |Display all floors
Why do the pictures show a burned down building? Nobody lives there. The next picture is a condemned house in New Orleans...nobody lives their either. There is real poverty in the USA, but those pictures are a fraud.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-7 14:35:11 |Display all floors
the2pid1 Post time: 2014-1-7 14:13
Why do the pictures show a burned down building? Nobody lives there. The next picture is a condemned ...

It's better than sleeping out in the street.
Please don't shoot, I'm just a babe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-1-7 14:46:54 |Display all floors
leonhong Post time: 2011-12-2 11:33
I want to know what the American dream is.

I think it's a dream about equality and social mobility. It's a dream about racial fairness. It's a dream about freedom of speech, voting rights, or legitimate civil  rights, Just like what  Martin Luther King said in his famous speech.

" I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.