Author: expatter

Rough justice in America .............. [Copy link] 中文

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-11-8 11:56:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by LCSULLA at 2011-11-8 02:01
Still got the Issue with that article somewhere.
What can I say,
just should have paid their taxes rather than betraying the Crown, those fella's, shouldn't they?
The Best Part is in ...

Well ........................

I think it is a fair article from a prominent source  ...............

And I do know many Americans here in China who shake their heads when you discuss the USA  .........

Maybe because it expounds so much bull about HR  .........

And at the same time is losing it at home to some degree ..........   

Use magic tools Report

Medal Medal of honor Gold Medal July's Best Writer 2012 October's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-11-8 11:59:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by SMITHI at 2011-11-8 03:33
great post expatter , i'm shocked  by shear number of imprisoned in USA ........sound like nazi Germany so to speak.
shocking indeed.
poor USIANS  i almost feel sorry for them after this... ...
....................................................................................

Thanks  ...............

Yes ...........

The numbers are shocking ..........

One person in thirty-three in the US (according to the article) is under court or prison supervision ...........

Either there is something wrong with Americans  ..........

Or their system needs looking at  .........

But truly astounding in this modern world .............  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-8 12:04:20 |Display all floors

This is cruel

Where the Americans so non law abiding people that they need to have such harsh laws ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-8 12:13:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by manoj10 at 2011-11-8 12:04
Where the Americans so non law abiding people that they need to have such harsh laws ?

Hmm ..............

The article seems to point to the fact that the plethora of laws are so combined and confused  .........

That you can go to jail in the US for almost anything ..........

A contributing factor being that judges are elected and the harsher they are, the more they get elected  ............

As for the 'three strikes and you are out' .........

What about life in prison (yes, life in prison)  for the guy who stole a bicycle  ..........   

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2011-11-8 12:27:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by expatter at 2011-11-7 20:13
The article seems to point to the fact that the plethora of laws are so combined and confused  .........
That you can go to jail in the US for almost anything .....

You are right. 200 years of writing law after law after law. Local, state, and federal.
There are so many laws on so many levels of government I doubt anyone in the US goes more than a day
without breaking some sort of law. Years ago my daughters brought home some bunnies from school.
We let them loose in the fenced in yard. The police came and said we can't keep farm animals in the
city limits. I was sent a folder in the mail that weighed about a kilogram. It was full of rules about animals
in a city of 50,000 people. Dogs are OK, rabbits are not. Doesn't an average dog create more waste
than a rabbit? Doesn't a dog make more noise? Don't dogs sometimes bite people?
But no, no, no to the ferocious and filthy rabbits. So the rabbits had to go. A lesson for my little daughters
about the law in the USA.
We've had a few rare instances of cops beating the crap out of someone who isn't completely docile when
questioned. But for everyone that gets caught on video there are thousands that don't. If a cop stops you
for anything you have to be completely cooperative no matter what. And the judges will ALWAYS believe
a cop over a citizen. Most cops are former bullies with no more than a high school education or a GED.

But we cannot do without the present system. Unemployment is so high as it is. If we decriminalized
victimless crimes what would we do with all those needless cop, lawyers, judges, jailers, and their
supporting cast? What other skills do most of them have?
It's a cops and robbers show that keeps a LOT of people employed here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-8 12:42:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by robert237 at 2011-11-8 12:27
You are right. 200 years of writing law after law after law. Local, state, and federal.
There are so many laws on so many levels of government I doubt anyone in the US goes more th ...
............................................................................................

Oh wow ............  

That is amazing  .............. !

Rabbits  ............ ?

That is even more unbelievable than I have ever heard from my US colleagues  ..........  

The law  ........  

And if it was your third indictment ...........

That would be 'life in prison' ..............

Oh dear  ...........   

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2011-11-8 12:50:24 |Display all floors

Yep, those evil rabbits

My daughters had to watch as we gave them away to total strangers who answered the ad for free rabbits.
I'm sure some ended up as rabbit stew.
When I asked the 'animal control officer' why rabbits were illegal to keep on my property she said they
were considered farm animals and farm animals create waste and attract .
As I said before, dogs create much more of a smell and mess than rabbits do. Rats run down phone lines
at dusk to eat food left out for dogs. I've seen it many times. The rabbits were eating grass and other vegetation
in the yard.
But we have many people in the US who's only job is to think up, or write more laws.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.