Views: 4560|Replies: 1

My pondering on "Life of Pi"--the 2002 booker prize novel [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-11-7 10:42:53 |Display all floors
Last month I heard that the once bestseller “Life of Pi” I read in 2005 would be introduced in filmmaking and directed by Ang Li, the famous Taiwanese director of movies like Brokenback Mountain, Lust Caution, etc. The original novel by Canadian writer Yann Martel had ever impressed me a lot and I'd like to share my annotation with friends who may also be interested in this novel.
The 2002 booker prize winner gives readers a quirky story: an Indian boy named Pi cast adrift on the sea with four unusual companions as a Japanese cargo ship, on which his family boarded to move some animals from India to Canada, encountered an explosion on the pacific ocean and sank. A 450-pound Bengal tiger, an injured zebra, a vicious hyena and a lumbering orangutan luckily got on a lifeboat together with Pi. During their desperate journey, the hyena ate up the zebra and the orangutan but finally itself was killed by the tiger. Surprisingly, the boy and the tiger were coexisting on the ocean for almost seven months till the lifeboat drifted to the coast of Mexico. The tiger jumped onto the shore and disappeared in the jungle forever without a glimpse to his pal.
However, another story emerged when two Japanese marine officers investigated the accident. The two deliberate men couldn’t believe the story with animals. So Pi gave them another one: the survivors at the beginning were four: Pi, his mother, a Taiwanese sailor who broke his leg as jumping to the sea and a French chef of the cargo ship. The chef was a man with brutal characteristic; he couldn’t bear the hunger on ocean and killed the sailor to cut flesh for eating. Before long, the chef killed Pi’s mother in a quarrel. Finally, Pi killed the chef in a fight in which the chef had obviously given up because of ...conscience? The Japanese investigators were so clever to point out the chef was the hyena, the sailor was the zebra, Pi’s mother was the orangutan and Pi was …the tiger… in the former story!
The later story is crueler than the former, and the Japanese investigators admitted that they liked more the story with animals. Pi was pleased to say that’s coincided with God’s opinion. As the author promises us the story will make us believe in God.
Initially I doubt such a belief is just a sort of illusion that deceives people and an evasion from the cruel, real world. People like to showcase their grace appearance and tend to modify things not so beautiful, or ugly as a matter of fact in the name of God's will. The story strengthened this notion as I finished reading for a while. As we are educated not to believe in an absurd life, I am intuitively frowning on the meaning of life of Pi. It seems that the author is trying to make people believe in beautiful lies, or as he preaches, God.
After a time of reviewing, I felt a little touched by the words. The story is by no means true, but the imagination is so powerful that we can't reject. Suddenly I realized that this novel certainly can't make me believe in God, but it can make me believe in literature, the beauty of poetic words and exquisite paragraphs. I am convinced that the bizarre story is somewhat a reflection of the writer's whispering from the bottom of his heart.
Actually, this novel makes us believe in the power of literature. We are living in a world far from perfect, we are not in a paradise, no even in a wonderful place, but we still chase, seek, look around to make life more or less better. It might be unreasonable to believe a dream, but we may create a dream in which we can embrace sort of meaning in one's life. That's why I explore the road of writing. Writing brings some pleasure; writing brings some tranquility; writing also brings sympathizing from people you know or you never know. In writing, one can summarize his or her thoughts by narration or creation, which are all their unique recognitions on their surroundings and the whole world in general. That's the reason we find many, many writers of weblog pursuing their way of writing and being appreciated or acknowledged by the public.
Life of Pi is a wonder, a miracle, compared to the plain life of most people, but his life is not true, not a matter of course. We like it because we are excited somehow by reading it, we can liberate ourselves temporarily from the dreary life we will face everyday. By reading, we can also be unsatisfied with reading, find that we may create stories by ourselves.
Life of Pi might have told us that life is cruel, life is hard, but we could also have a sense that life is sweet and life is interesting when we are indulging in this novel. And this, is greatly attributed to the magic of literature, and we shall thank Yann Martel again, for his odd and cunning conceiving.
One thing that's truly hard to eradicate is the idea.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-11 15:36:54 |Display all floors
Now I am wondering how they can put such unique story on the silver screen. Maybe there will be no animals in the film but four people struggle for survival on a lifeboat during sea trip.
I also upload the comment to a Chinese literature website but rejected due to censorship, then I delete some words and change the name of comment, upload again, they finally allow it show on the website.
refer to the link, you can find there are tiny differences between the two versions.
http://www.rongshuxia.com/book/5384123.html
One thing that's truly hard to eradicate is the idea.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.