Views: 32515|Replies: 34

Are Chinese People Friendly?   [Copy link] 中文

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2011-11-5 05:31:16 |Display all floors
I've placed two postings on this forum asking for advice as a newcomer and foreigner here. I received some very good feedback from people who really understand the sincerity of my questions. I've also received some rather nasty, bitter, negative comments along the way.

I find China to be a delightful place. It is because of the people I've met and encountered. There are many negatives, but, finding negatives in any society or culture is easy. Accentuating the positive takes a bit more effort for most people. However, to me, I see so many positives here in China.

I've been told in a few comments here (to my postings) that Chinese people aren't open, aren't friendly and think it strange that a foreigner would smile at them as they walk down the street. That is totally the opposite of my everyday experience here. I've been here 72 days and am still delightfully amazed at how well I'm treated and how open and friendly the people are to me.

I write a newspaper column in America. I've been writing about my experience here in China. I want people in America to know that China is a wonderful place with wonderful people. They don't know how rich the culture is here and how friendly the people truly are. Before I came here, I didn't know this about China and its people.

This morning, I will board a bus to go and teach some classes at Zhengzhou University. I know that even before I leave, I'll get smiles, nods and 'hellos' along the way. I love my country (America). I love so many things about it. But, I'm sure that if I boarded a city bus in America, my experience wouldn't be the same. Especially if I was viewed as a 'foreigner.'

There are many delightful things about China that I am relishing. The thing I love most is the kindness, courtesy and friendliness of the people.

I'll leave you with this quote from a song in America:

"I see friends shaking hands, saying 'how do you', what they're really saying is, 'I love you.'" - Louis Armstrong

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2011-11-5 06:25:42 |Display all floors

Are Chinese People Friendly?

Some are, some aren't

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2011-11-5 10:28:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by MichaelM at 2011-11-5 05:31
I've placed two postings on this forum asking for advice as a newcomer and foreigner here. I received some very good feedback from people who really understand the sincerity of my questions. I've a ...

In general they are.

Some will be very wary of a foreigner if they are not used to seeing/meetiing them, that could be taken as an unfriendly sign but of course it's not.

Many feel very uncomfortable in your presence if there is a language barrier.
Even though I have knowledge of PY and speak a little helpful Chinese, that's not always a benifit if I am with someone that speaks zero English,

But I have never been approached by anyone with an angry attidude.

Chao Ren VFP

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-5 23:11:13 |Display all floors
I love my country (America). I love so many things about it. But, I'm sure that if I boarded a city bus in America, my experience wouldn't be the same. Especially if I was viewed as a 'foreigner.'

So you've never boarded a bus in your own Country then  
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2011-11-6 05:51:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by St_George at 2011-11-5 11:11 PM
I love my country (America). I love so many things about it. But, I'm sure that if I boarded a city bus in America, my experience wouldn't be the same. Especially if I was viewed as a ' ...

No I haven't. I have a car in the U.S.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2011-11-6 07:36:44 |Display all floors
any time I am in China people have been really friendly to me.This is my experience
I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-9 05:44:14 |Display all floors
I find the Chinese people a little more excepting than some that I have met in my travels , I'm 6' and have a mohawk so I stand out a bit in China , my experience has left me with fond memories of China and her people , :)
There are no Ugly women , only those with low self esteem .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.