Author: wchao37

On the unique Chinese experience of acculturating their conquerors [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-4-7 23:34:49 |Display all floors

chinese like the borg?

hm ... they both have a fascination with huge construction projects (those giant cubes, big dams).

ts

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-8 18:32:55 |Display all floors

mmm

tsupasat,

The more I think about it...

-- Individual creativity not a strong point for either the Borg or Chinese.  

-- Obedience and conformity  important (although the Borg are actually controlled by chips in the brain, I don't think the Chinese have gone that far yet).  Tendency to confuse the individual with the country/ethnic group.  

-- Advancements in society and technology tend to come from 'absorbing' the ideas of others (translation:  stealing them) as individual creativity is not a strong point.  

-- "Resistance is futile."  The Borg tend to overwhelm their enemies with devastating technology and tactics combined with vast numbers.  The Chinese account for 25% of humanity, so while they lack the technological edge they have the numbers to make resistance, er, futile.

Of course this whole anology falls apart when you consider that the Borg employ relentless logic in their decision making.  While the Chinese favour a similar centralized idea formulation and leadership system they have all the logic and common sense of a chocolate teapot.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-16 11:55:14 |Display all floors

ubersuarve, I ask only questions, no one is interested in my opinion.

You wrote:
tsupasat,

The more I think about it...

-- Individual creativity not a strong point for either the Borg or Chinese.

-- Obedience and conformity important (although the Borg are actually controlled by chips in the brain, I don't think the Chinese have gone that far yet). Tendency to confuse the individual with the country/ethnic group.

-- Advancements in society and technology tend to come from 'absorbing' the ideas of others (translation: stealing them) as individual creativity is not a strong point.

-- "Resistance is futile." The Borg tend to overwhelm their enemies with devastating technology and tactics combined with vast numbers. The Chinese account for 25% of humanity, so while they lack the technological edge they have the numbers to make resistance, er, futile.

Of course this whole anology falls apart when you consider that the Borg employ relentless logic in their decision making. While the Chinese favour a similar centralized idea formulation and leadership system they have all the logic and common sense of a chocolate teapot.

"" Individual creativity not a strong point for either the Borg or Chinese. ""

Who are the BORG. ?
Why have you tied the Chinese and these BORG together. ?
What do the BORG look like. ?
Is there a secret insult in your message meant only for westerners. ?

" stealing them "
What excatly wee you trying to say or did you want to say here. ?

""While the Chinese favour a similar centralized idea formulation and leadership system they have all the logic and common sense of a chocolate teapot.""

Chinese have the logic and common sense of a chocolate teapot, is that an insult or intended to be an insult. ?

Why do you come to the forum to just insult Chinese. ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-4-21 02:40:10 |Display all floors

JR...

This is similar to westerners reading the stuff that's often posted by "patriots"... (excerpts from some slogan book that some semi-lucent wrote)...we don't get all of your references and you don't get all of ours.

Yes, the Borg indeed.
So racist. I'm not Chinese, nor am I white,blonde, or blue eyed. Racism here is much more pronounced than anywhere I've been. Where it's due to sheer malice or just plain ignorance combined with "miseducation", I'm not sure.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.