Author: DSseeing

What stops Chinese from being creative? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-9-7 13:30:58 |Display all floors

Reply #89 Kbay's post

If it escaped your notice, the onus of proof for all of my previous post is on you kbay! Don't twist what is meant, it doesn't work!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-9-7 14:29:36 |Display all floors
Chinese Education is like this, if you enter a university, you're gonna forget most of what you have learned before that.

So true. I'm currently trying to teach my girlfriend her high school math again to prepare her for university.
I don't know why Chinese high school students have so many classes - they learned the very same in science that we've learned in my high school here in Europe, but we've had very few classes every week... actually, we've learned even more in the fields of history, economics, languages and geography. And in contrast to my girlfriend (who was among the top students in her province and visited one of China's best universities before moving to Europe) I still remember most of the math - including the proofs (which were vastly omited by the chinese education).
I believe a few changes in the education system could help a lot in China - if you are ready to invest so much time for studying, you should also be getting a lot of return.

However - school marks and study don't make China a non-creative country. Many great inventors didn't perform well in school - Einstein got even kicked out from university as he couldn't pass the first term...
So China should focus on pre-university education for the sake of education - learning should be fun. But not for the sake of innovation.

So Chinese parents, if you want your sons to win a Noble Prize, keep them at home.

So far, only two Chinese universities produced nobel price winners - and these were not even from the best universities (e.g. Beijing Normal University).

However, there are several Chinese Nobel prize winners who were educated abroad.

But the Nobel prize doesn't have anything to do with innovativity.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-9-7 16:57:15 |Display all floors

Reply #92 seneca's post

What is a demotivator is the passionless way which teachers present their classes. The learning forced upon these poor kids is way above what should be expected from their age group(s). In saying this, I can't help but notice that China is turning out far more scientists, engineers and scholars than many countries these days so something must be going right.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-9-7 18:53:59 |Display all floors

when there're quick ways to make money than inventing and applying patents..

Originally posted by exportedkiwi at 2011-9-7 11:32
Advertising is a service. For China to truly grow creatively, they must create actual products and inventions.

Advertising is an old service not a new thing but how to convey your idea can be very creative to convince the viewers, not just selling your products for money. There're advertment for belief such as eco-friendly promotion.

First think of what need to make the world a  sustainable development one. Not to create for create's sake.
Doesn't necessary  to produce products. It can be services as changing people's concept or behaviour.  Changing people's behaviour such as wasting material is important too.

People often measure the wealth of a country with the patents their citizens own. Then link creativity to money making. When in a developing country, there're more quick ways to make money than inventing and applying for patents and to protect your copyrights, who would waste time on creativity?

[ Last edited by username7 at 2011-9-7 06:56 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-9-7 19:55:55 |Display all floors
In saying this, I can't help but notice that China is turning out far more scientists, engineers and scholars than many countries these days so something must be going right.

But if you talk to these engineers and scientists, you'll figure out that they are basically far below international standards. I tried to employ several Chinese unversity graduates before... but it didn't pay off - I was paying them for working but they returned out so unreliable results that I always had to recalculate every single detail. In the end, I gave the work to some Europeans workers who were more expensive - but I had what I needed without struggling a lot.

Anyway, this was a single project - if I would have been looking for a longer collaboration, I would have educated the Chinese and got cheap but reliable workers. If they stay long enough, which is another question in China...

When in a developing country, there're more quick ways to make money than inventing and applying for patents and to protect your copyrights, who would waste time on creativity?

Because at some point, you can't grow on by just providing cheap work anymore. Or should China always be a developing country and keep the Yuan very low so that it can compete with Africa? I believe that Chinese people want more than that... and they deserve it. That's why innovations for adding more value are crucial. There will still be enough people in this world and in China to do the cheap work...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-9-8 21:07:12 |Display all floors
Nobel prize are for those who seek to become famous and adore being put in a cage like in the zoo to be entertain by public.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal

Post time 2011-9-10 05:27:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by DSseeing at 2011-9-2 09:42
Being a secend large economy, with the great history of 5000 years, China has reasons to be proud that this is where the four greatest inventions were born.
However, I don't know since when China  ...

IT's The Nobel "eace" Prize
;P
Never Let Anyone Outside The Family Know What You're Thinking.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.