Author: 468259058

Why China Needs to Keep Building [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-14 17:46:24 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2012-1-2 22:53
I think what are important is being done by the State:

- curb property price overheating;

I think that, along with the priorities you listed Mark, China must also pay very careful attention to the delicate balancing act of preserving the environment, trying to raise the standard of living and also maintain development. Without a viable environment fit for habitation, all the other priorities mean nothing!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-14 20:01:58 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2012-1-14 17:46
I think that, along with the priorities you listed Mark, China must also pay very careful attentio ...

I concur, export(ed)kiwi.  The cost of rehabilitating the environment is a hidden cost realized yesterday that must be added today in order to raise concerted effort to mitigate its size tomorrow.  Because when the population grows, the per capita negative effects of poorly maintained environments will expand. Think simple things like health costs and productivity losses, investment flights and funds outflows, epidemics and so on.

The tragic thing is that being relatively new in the game of economic growth, the country could have from the very outset embed environmental protection into the scheme of development.  Anyway, better late than never.  Take advantage of new technologies in all their vistas.  Show the world how it all can come together.  A new paradigm.  Not just cure but also prevent.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-14 20:30:43 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2012-1-14 19:01
I concur, export(ed)kiwi.  The cost of rehabilitating the environment is a hidden cost realized ye ...

Agreed again Mark but it isn't technology that will solve the environmental problems. It's going to take a massive grassroots profound re-education of the masses and a reprogramming oif people thinking of the "money first" ideal that is prevalent in China.
Yesw, it's sad that this issue wasn't thought of right at the beginning when this crucial part of development could've been built into the overall plan. As you said, "better late than never" but, in some places, it's already too late and lives and habitats have already been ruined and lost.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-14 20:52:00 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2012-1-14 20:01
I concur, export(ed)kiwi.  The cost of rehabilitating the environment is a hidden cost realized ye ...

The correct Term here would not be hidden costs, but external effects.
And it's the Chinese Gouvernments from local up to Central that pretty clearly and unmistakably
express their unwillingness to internalise those external effects for short term opportunistic Reasons.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-14 21:19:09 |Display all floors
What you need is one national example.  Just like that model village whose agricultural output made it a star, so too we can do for an awakening on the need to protect and nurture our environment. Make that national example into a new star for everyone to talk about it, discuss how to achieve similar standards for his own place, and coordinate effort from education in schools to decisions in boardrooms and departments.

If China puts her mind to something, she can do it.  Start with a modern suburban city and make it a pioneer on how to preserve and nurture one's working and daily living environment.  Then when everyone can see for him.her-self, other places can also join ranks and perhaps even compete nationally to outperform one another to build quality environments that may even pull together China's rich store of balanced philosophical insights.

i am markwu.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-15 08:13:35 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2012-1-14 07:19
What you need is one national example.  Just like that model village whose agricultural output made  ...

With China's population. A New York City-size or Tokyo-size city is inevitable. Skyscrapers will have to become a standard building to preserve land space for the green environment. Vertical space in the sky is expendable.
Put out your right arm, hold back your left arm... <(=^.^=);

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.