Views: 3458|Replies: 17

Is it a waste of money? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-4-18 10:57:21 |Display all floors
Netizens debate throwing money to save dogs
(from Xinhua)
BEIJING - Over 500 dogs being delivered to a butcher house were saved by a Chinese animal protection organization and redeemed with 100,000 yuan ($15,300) Friday.

The incident then triggered debate among Chinese netizens about the necessity of pouring so much money and efforts into saving dogs.

On Friday, a truck loaded with over 500 dogs were stopped by volunteers from animal protection organization on Jingha expressway Beijing section.

Beijing Times reported these dogs were being delivered to slaughter houses in the city of Changchun, northeast Jilin province and would be eventually served on dinner tables.

After negotiations with the truck driver, pet service provider Leepet Holding Corp. and a philanthropic foundation, Shangshan Foundation purchased these dogs, each paying 50,000 yuan.

Dogs were then delivered to the headquarter of China Small Animal Protection Association (CSAPA), being taken care of and waiting for adoption.

After the "dog saving mission" was reported, Chinese net users debate over whether saving dogs worth so much efforts and money while there are still many poor and needy people in China lacking assistance.

Do you think it is waste of money and efforts to rescue the dogs?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-18 11:06:01 |Display all floors
Animal protection activists Friday stopped a truck on the way transporting 520 dogs to a slaughterhouse in Northeast China's Jilin province on the Beijing-Harbin Highway. LeepPet Holding Corp, a pet service company, and Shangshan Animal Charity Fund finally bought all the animals with 115,000 yuan ($17,606) from the dog trader early Saturday morning. Volunteers then transported the dogs to an animal care center of the China Small Animal Protection Association (CSAPA) in Beijing, providing them with food and medical treatment.
ori_4da89177a88b8.jpg
ori_4da89177d0970.jpg
ori_4da891771fd56.jpg
ori_4da89178387dc.jpg
re_4da891775454a.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-19 09:34:51 |Display all floors

Sheep

Hundreds of millions of sheep and cattle and pigs and fish and chicken die horrible deaths every day so
people can grow fat and increase the risk of cancer and heart disease.Why all this concern for fierce and
noisy carnivores that keep us awake at night ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-19 10:00:10 |Display all floors
This time,the animal protection organiazation bought all the dogs. But there are so many dogs, cats and endangered animals being threatened.Could we afford to buy them? I think the rihgt way is to educate people not eat so many partner animals any more!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-19 10:06:18 |Display all floors
As a gesture, it's priceless. People are incredibly disheartened by the killing of pet animals, especially because the traditional way these animals are killed is extremely violent and painful for the animal. Today's generations no longer want to see that and the generations to come will project an even louder disapproval.

Farm based animals used for food are often killed quickly and humanely, because it is the most effective way of getting a quility produce out to the people as quickly as possible.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-19 10:15:38 |Display all floors

Is it a waste of money?

[quote]Originally posted by cindy1225 at 2011-4-18 10:57

".... saved by a Chinese animal protection organization and redeemed with 100,000 yuan ($15,300) Friday ...."

People are allowed to waste their own money.

The government is not allowed to waste the peoples' money.

The animal protection organization was not the government.

The animal protection organization is allowed to waste their money any way they like.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-4-19 12:19:10 |Display all floors
I would agree that people can spend their own money as they wish.
I also see points that are not mentioned.
1. these dogs were never bred for the table as chickens sheep and cattle.
2. these dogs if I look are from many breeds and many look like they were just picked up from the streets as animals without owners.
3. if these dogs are just taken from the streets what controls are in place to ensure that the animal is fit for consumption.

In the West when dogs without owners are found they are captured and delivered to a kennel where they often have only 7 days of life as an opportunity for another to adopt them. If they are not adopted then they are destroyed generally by lethal injection.
The question of wether the dog is a food source is not the issue in my mind but the costs to save these dogs I think would have been better spent as an investment in education of how to treat dogs in our society. A dog can be a good friend. It can be very therapeutic for elderly as they assist in daily social activity as walking etc.
For those of us that have a dog in the home as a pet I have never met anyone who would eat their dog.
Whilst I may not eat dogmeat I am not against it if the animal is bred for that purpose. It would be no different from eating the sheep or chicken. However to take dogs that are living on the streets and to use for consumption is in my opinion wrong.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.