Author: Everynowhere

Chinas greatest inventions in the past 20 years   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-4-2 12:06:02 |Display all floors
shameless Post time: 2012-4-2 11:43
Charles K. Kao, Father of Fiber-Optics...

Charles K. Kao is an American-English professor... but yeah...he was born in China.
"Let her sleep, for when she wakes, she will shake the world." [Napoleon Bonaparte about China]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-2 14:48:09 |Display all floors
fredius Post time: 2012-4-2 13:06
Charles K. Kao is an American-English professor... but yeah...he was born in China.

yes Sir,
indeed, born and bred in Shanghai, with his ancestral home in Jinshan.
He studied English and French at an international school in ShanghaI and compleded his
secondary education in Hong Kong.
Prof. Dr. Charles K. Kao returned to Hong Kong during the 70's and joined the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK)...
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-3 13:52:05 |Display all floors
shameless Post time: 2012-4-2 14:48
yes Sir,
indeed, born and bred in Shanghai, with his ancestral home in Jinshan.
He studied Engli ...

I don't understand your approach.
Charles K.Kao has made his secondary education in HK and all his undergraduate studies (Bachelor and PhD) in UK.  He has chosen to take Britsh and American nationalities...  why should he be regarded as a Chinese?
The subject is "China greatest inventions..." and it shouldn't be answered with a "racial" perspective.
Mr K. Kao's achievements are the result of his education and his intelligence, not of his cultural heritage and "race".
"Let her sleep, for when she wakes, she will shake the world." [Napoleon Bonaparte about China]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-3 17:47:33 |Display all floors
fredius Post time: 2012-4-3 14:52
Charles K.Kao has made his secondary education in HK and all his ...

In my opinion, a Country does not invent things.
However, the people of the Country do so... wherever they may have migrated from...

I do not find anything "racial" mentioning Prof. K.Kao birthplace and that the honorable Gentleman is Chinese...
Perhaps Blood type is not, in our present day world, considered to be politically correct...
It takes about 40 muscles to smile, but only 4 to pull the trigger of a decent rifle

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-3 17:52:55 |Display all floors
fredius Post time: 2012-4-3 13:52
Charles K.Kao has made his secondary education in HK and all his ...

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were pot smoking drop-outs yet went on to create innovation like never before. Would you suggest it was their lack of tertiary education that helped them?  Or are some people made inquisitive by their genes and formative family interaction?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-4-3 21:45:43 |Display all floors
In my opinion, a Country does not invent things.
However, the people of the Country do so... wherever they may have migrated from...

I oppose that view - countries do invent things by providing the infrastructure that is necessary to do those innovations and to afterwards also sell them. The first companies that sold Fibre optics, for instance, were not Chinese companies - and an innovation is, unlike an invention, not complete until it hits the market.

Therefore, I also see Prof. Kao's invetion as an American innovation.
In my opinion, people aren't born with their nationality - they choose their nationality and where they life and work. And if somebody chooses to be not Chinese but, like Kao, American, then he is an American - especially if he works and lives in the US. The mere appearance or past of that person doesn't matter.

For that reason I would also like China to improve its R&D infrastructure - no matter who afterwards sits in those offices to make the innovations. If Chinese companies afterwards earn the yields of that innovation, it's a Chinese innovation.

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal September's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-4-4 12:01:57 |Display all floors
Invention:

World's factory.
our life is full of sunshine

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.