Views: 1824|Replies: 10

TWO CASES SAME BACKGROUND [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-12-21 11:42:51 |Display all floors
I have just read on the news about this two cases that I would like to state here and leave it to everyone in this CDBBS to debate.

Case 1)

A school teacher in La Linea, Cadiz (Spain) has been accused by a student's parents of not respecting his religious believes. The geography teacher was explaining the different type of climates in south Spain when he mentioned that the dry and cold climate of Trevelez was what helped the Iberian ham ( a dried pork leg very popular in Spain) get it's special taste. At this point the student asked the teacher not to mention pork in class since he was muslim and it was offensive to him and the teacher replied that he was just using that as an example.  The parents of the teacher went staright to the police station and filed a complaint there. Further investigations showed that the teacher is a reputed member of the educational staff of the school and has never had problems in the past.

Case 2)

FC Barcelona, argueably the world's best football team has been put into a complicated position because of its new sponsor Qatar Foundation. Israeli newspaper Maavir acused Qatar Foundation of funding Hamas and other terrorist groups only to deny this a day after publsihing it. As a matter of fact it has been seen as a move from the Israeli diplomacy to avoid a sport team which is seen all around the world as an example of excellence, being sponsored by the Qatar Foundation. Israeli top offcials at the foreign affairs office have denied the rpessure although have recognized that some grants given by the Qatar Foundation have the name of an Egyptian man who could have links to Hamas.

I am asking 2 questions here;

1) How are these 2 cases similar?

2) Where is the limit to religion?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-21 15:37:04 |Display all floors

Well, seems that both

mzlims and zinst are not very interested in commenting on this........pitty!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-21 18:04:10 |Display all floors
Case #1)  Completely ridiculous.  Going to the police because a teacher mentioned pork?  How is this a police matter?  I'm thinking they would have been laughed at if they came to one of our local police stations with a complaint like that.  That issue should be brought up to the school, not the police.  As far as the issue in school, if the parents can't handle public schools which are secular, than they should put their kids in private schools.  This is what the catholics do.

Case #2) Ridiculous as well.  lsrael sees Hamas everywhere.  Nothing new there.  Will jews not play on this team because of the sponsors?  Or was there just a statement from the press accusing Hamas links to the team?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-22 13:05:28 |Display all floors

Thank you to the above posters.....

for giving their opinion.

Hope we can get others to comment on this.

P.S.: I was also suprised by both news. Especially the one refering to the Qatar foundation!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-22 18:28:09 |Display all floors
I'm still not sure the second case has anything at all to do with religion.  Making a statement about Hamas doesn't mean the guy is a religious man.  Hamas is a terrrorist group.  Could be that he sees all arabs as Hamas, but that is more of lslamophobia rather than religion.  I'm not religious, yet I trust no musIIms.  I think they want to kill me.  I'm sure in lsrael, people feel that far more.

To your original question of limiting religion - I'm all for that.  We have people all the time abusing freedom of a religion, making cults and abusing children, etc.  There has to be some point where we can step in before things get too out of hand.

What worries me about musIim immigrants are the impossible demands to 'respect' their religion as you see in case #1.   Religious freedom does not mandate that people have to respect your religion - anyone's religion.  It just gives you the right to practice whatever religious belief you want.  People seem afraid to stand up to musIims and it gets turned into racism issues.  I don't get it.  If it were a catholic, no one would have any trouble saying 'no' to ridiculous demands and no one gets charged with racism for it.  That is the scary part for me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-22 18:40:39 |Display all floors

Sick fascist animal

Originally posted by JFenix at 2010-12-22 18:28
I'm still not sure the second case has anything at all to do with religion.  Making a statement about Hamas doesn't mean the guy is a religious man.  Hamas is a terrrorist group.  Could be that he  ...

The fiend is a sick nazi animal.Hamas is less terrorist than Menachem Begin's evil Stern gang.And as for
pork,the British Jews protested a Virgin Atlantic ad that showed sausages.Long tongue is a Western shill.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-12-22 18:44:23 |Display all floors

Reply #9 petera's post

You are not a Mooslum, right?
The Brotherhood of Knights of the Mystic Sea

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.