Age of Muscle Cars, dedicated to GM [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-11-23 07:05:38 |Display all floors
Chevy II
Chevy II.png
The Brotherhood of Knights of the Mystic Sea

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-23 08:54:25 |Display all floors

Designed for money for the forum

I expect Google to place some GM advertisements with this thread!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-23 11:50:14 |Display all floors

I like MUSCLE CARS, better still with a little "space feel"!

ha ha ha

those fossil fuel sipper are real sissies!
while those basic cars are real bore!

cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-23 16:57:04 |Display all floors

Frank Bullits Mustang.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-23 17:44:53 |Display all floors

Reply #12 blueskies88's post

I'd have wished for GM to rest in pieces,
the USA has a Great Car Maker with Ford,
which is totallly enough.
您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-23 19:54:03 |Display all floors

Reply #15 LCSULLA's post

As I see it ...

GMC and Chrysler both made the same mistake, they spent their efforts building big trucks and SUVs and neglected to concentrate on smaller gas-saving cars. They also failed in improving their interiors, using old out-of-date designs and both failed to create quality parts for the actually machinery that ran the thing. Ford did a better job and came out with a lot of smaller, efficient cars that performed well. Unlike the Japanese and Korean makers who focused on quality, the American automakers counted on the consumer to dispose of a new car in a couple of years to get a new model.

VW is an interesting contrast, they built efficient cars but parts were hard to come by and their interiors were often cheap. Audi focused on innovation and the new owner paid for the cost of finding new problems with the relatively untested stuff, and like all German cars parts were hard to come by. BMW and Mercedes stayed with what seemed to work, but they were overpriced like the Audi. Japanese and Korean automakers focused on quality and good engineering, not styling, which was easily enough copied from the German sedans. Volvo made the best car all around except it was underpowered for far too long.

There is a reason why I opened with the 1968 Pontiac GTO -- and therein lies a story for a later time.

I was looking for a good pic of the SS 396 that wasn't already modified. Like most muscle cars, the American muscle car consumers modified them. They would drop in a bigger engine, a more powerful transmission and upgrade the rear axle, bore out the valves, change-out the carburetor and add a wind scoop to turbine the intake, beef-up the differential and add an undercarriage cross bar in case the universal on it's linkage broke, change-out the shifter and the hub caps, modify the muffler with something like a noisy glass-pack and cruise around looking for others to drag with all up and down the streets.

There are others I will add, like the Camaro, but the little Chevy SS 396 was the most popular. I am still looking for some good pics of it.

:)

[ Last edited by blueskies88 at 2010-11-23 08:31 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-11-23 19:56:13 |Display all floors

Reply #14 Caledonian's post

If the thread was not dedicated to GMC, I would have put the Mustang and a lot of others in the thread, you recalcitrant throw-back and it's not my fault your favorite Scot rock 'n Roll group wrote silly songs.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.