Views: 18085|Replies: 349

French pensioner 'attacked MusIim woman over veil' [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-10-29 23:58:32 |Display all floors
A pensioner chased a MusIim woman around a shop in France and ripped her niqab from her face claiming they should be banned in the country, a court has heard.

Jeanne Ruby, 63, a retired English teacher, told police that she "snapped" when she saw the woman from the United Arab Emirates, whose face was covered, in a home furnishings shop in Paris's 15th arrondissement.

The case came a week after France's Constitutional Court gave its seal of approval to a law banning face-covering veils from all public places.

Mrs Ruby, who was not present in court yesterday, told police she had begun by asking Shaika al-Suwaidi, 26, to remove the veil because it was "offensive". "For me, wearing the veil is an act of aggression. I felt attacked as a woman," she said.

Mrs al-Suwaidi allegedly refused to remove the veil and continued shopping. When Mrs Ruby saw she was still wearing the veil a few minutes later, she allegedly "snapped". Rushing at Mrs al-Suwaidi, she tore off her niqab and scratched and slapped her, the court heard.

Mrs al-Suwaidi claimed the pensioner then bit her right hand and cried: "Now I can see your face." In an interview with Le Parisien newspaper before the trial, Mrs Ruby said: "I find it unacceptable that someone should be wearing a niqab in this country of human rights. It's no more than a muzzle and all that's missing is the reins. It's the negation of womanhood. I've taught in Morocco and Saudi Arabia and I have seen how these women walk three paces behind their husbands."

Mrs al-Suwaidi's lawyer said her client had suffered "psychological shock" after the incident. The prosecution called for a two-month suspended sentence against Mrs Ruby for "aggravated voluntary assault" and a euros 750 (pounds 660) fine. The plaintiff's lawyers demanded a total of euros 15,000 in damages. The trial continues.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-30 00:00:25 |Display all floors
I think this lady expresses exactly how I feel about the veil.  It is offensive.  It's an attack on women.  It's so hard to restrain yourself in the presence of women wearing them.  It just fills me with rage.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-30 00:03:46 |Display all floors

We have to wait for Petera for a final word

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-30 00:05:07 |Display all floors
I think all of us already know what he'll say....he has 3-4 standard responses we by now all remember.
Patria est ubicunque bene/Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-30 00:07:18 |Display all floors

Gotta enjoy Petera in forum, without him we will be bored

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-30 00:08:26 |Display all floors
I'm bored with Petera.  Alex is right, he only responds with the same recycled lines over and over.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-30 00:10:08 |Display all floors
Originally posted by JFenix at 2010-10-29 09:38 PM
I'm bored with Petera.  Alex is right, he only responds with the same recycled lines over and over.

Well, but he is funny though. I really like this old man although I make fun of him. Would like to have a dinner with him. Petera, send me a message when you are in New Delhi

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.