Author: middleway

Let's Have An Open, Honest, Mature Discussion About Liu Xiaobo [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-10-22 02:40:25 |Display all floors
As far as I understand, Xiaobao drafted a roadmap plan for China to go down a western democratic route and promoted it among an academic group. This would be a multi-party route free to argue in public.
What upset the Party was that it was made clear that China could not transform itself via this route, and that China has chosen to implement a 1-party internal democracy. This does not however mean that it will be like this forever.
Xiaobao's sin was to promote an alternative which was clearly rejected. For this, the sentence was 11 years in prison.

I do believe in the assessment that China cannot go directly into a multi-party openly debating democracy. It would be very disrupting as well as introduce tremendous uncertainty immediately. Which was why a 11 year sentence was imposed to deter the development in this direction.

It makes sense to me.

(I do not know whether my facts are correct, but that is what it appears to me).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-22 02:56:34 |Display all floors
I have access to Wikipedia which detailed what Xiaobo did and Charter 08 in detail.

I can see why he has been sentenced so severely. Not that I wish that upon this man.

He is a brave ideallist, and that is exactly why he is the wrong man, and Charter 08 is the wrong way to change China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-10-22 04:08:36 |Display all floors
Mandela is undoubtedly a hero. It was through his character and wisdom that he was able to attract the right people to support him, and to transition an apartheid into a democracy as peacefully as it had.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.