Author: longzhou

Google backpedals to "stay alive"...... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2010-7-5 16:53:53 |Display all floors
And it would be naive to presume that the CIA are not interested in what is effectively the biggest data collector worldwide. The same goes for mapping, I don't think there is a single government/secret service in the world that has no interest in it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-5 16:56:36 |Display all floors
But it's nonsense of course to predict doom for either Google or Android, the opposite is the case:

http://www.toptechreviews.net/te ... ntum-over-industry/

"As smartphones continue to take over the mobile phone market, the Google Android software has been making larger gains than any other in the industry, thus far."

Be that as it may, I still hope for a settlement so that I can continue to use my beloved HTC Desire. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-5 17:07:43 |Display all floors
And last but most certainly not least it's Chinese companies that would lose out if Google couldn't operate in China:

"Smaller Chinese manufacturers, which account for about 10 percent of the global supply of mobile phones, are also adopting Android, seeking to gain market share with lower-priced devices. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/0 ... 5iht-android05.html

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-5 19:24:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by in_ningbo at 2010-7-5 16:44

You're right of course, Chinese do and should have a choice. If they dislike Google it's perfectly fine not to use it. But if they CAN'T use Google I think quite a few who rely on it have a pro ...

I think you are the few in here who understand my perspectives on what the Party's responsibilities are. So, if a politically supported company acted in the way they did, their technological value is obsolete facing the grander picture, and they better bare the consequences they themselves caused to themselves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-5 19:28:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by in_ningbo at 2010-7-5 16:53
And it would be naive to presume that the CIA are not interested in what is effectively the biggest data collector worldwide. The same goes for mapping, I don't think there is a single government/s ...

And IF a settlement need to be made, then Google better put on table some real valueable tangible tech and data or else they should forget the Chinese consumer market.

It is just a pity many clouded by prejudices would think these are merely 'conspiracy' theories from some paranoiid brainwashed commies.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-5 19:41:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by in_ningbo at 2010-7-5 16:56
But it's nonsense of course to predict doom for either Google or Android, the opposite is the case:

Google for my part can have their fun outside China,and continue to dominate the market in which they are and kill off all their competitors.

But personally I am against monopoly in a market, for example it is NOT done that Baidu has such a big market share, effectively making them kinda a monopoly, in a market which can easily fit a dozen different search machines with different uniqueness and features. One of the thing I always thought of is that the government should regulate this search machines industry, one easy way to open the door for new comers is that all Search machines companies should send all their data to a collective database which is shared with all offically licensed Search machines. Patents should be limited as well and only provided to those who really made a big investment in it, or setup a fair compulsory licensing scheme. For example, awarding patent for Google like the "Page Rank"? That is like killing off all competitors and boosting one company to dominate the whole industry.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2010-7-6 23:02:03 |Display all floors

For those interested....

It's a given that Google and privacy is a controversial issue and China is not the only country that has its concerns.

In any event 'spiked online' has an ongoing debate on that very issue of Google and Privacy for those interested in the subject....

[ Last edited by ganzhuolin at 2010-7-6 11:20 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.